6 volt or 12 volt coil?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Re: 6 volt or 12 volt coil?

Postby 1972nail » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:59 am

This post refers exclusively to the HC model. I always thought that all HB's had external ballast resistors but I put my knowledge forward to be corrected or upheld by those who have more knowledge of HB's than me.

Certainly if there is a resistance wire in the harness my suggestion would be to bypass it some way and fit a 12v coil and then possibly upgrade to electronic ignition.

The ballast system was to provide a super strong spark during cranking in cold conditions when battery voltage would be on the lower limit and the ignition system probably needing a service. Most of our cars now are usually only cranked on a nice reasonably warm day with a strong battery and a well serviced ignition.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: 6 volt or 12 volt coil?

Postby jpsmit » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:27 am

Ok, spent some time this afternoon working on the harness - slowly making progress. I am replacing bad wires and plugs and making sure everything has continuity.

Just to be clear, I removed the clear wire and left everything else as is - so, I now just proceed as is with a 12 volt external ballast coil?

BTW the white wire was burned and frayed at the coil end and the clear wire was burned and frayed and badly connected to a red wire at the other end. odd.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Previous

Return to Electrical help