Electronic Ignition

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Electronic Ignition

Postby jonny.i » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:02 pm

what is the best electronic ignition system that you have fitted to your 1256 hc
jonny.i
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Electronic Ignition

Postby 1972nail » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:26 pm

At the minute there seems to be only 2 choices, PowerSpark and Accuspark. Both are essentially the same so it's down to price really. Don't forget to bypass the resistance wire and fit a good non-ballast 12v coil.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby HC » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:11 pm

I have fitted an Electronic ignition on my 1256cc 1975 HC Estate with Delco Dizzy (-ve Earth).
How do I know if I've got a ballast coil or not and where is the resistance wire found?
HC

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:58 pm

The resistance wire is built in to the loom behind the dashboard - I thought all HCs had it, but I don't know about export models. If you turn the ignition on (but don't start the car) and measure the voltage on the supply to the coil, if it's around 9v then the resistance wire is in circuit. I don't know how to check which coil you have - I think you do it by measuring the resistance of it, but someone else will confirm.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Colin » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:51 pm

What system would you recommend for OHC engines?
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:21 pm

If you can get a Lumenition or Bosch? Distributor from a late CF, those are the more 'period' ones to use but difficult to locate now. Both Powerspark and Accuspark do one for the Delco D300 distributor but the distributor drive shaft and weights have to be dismantled to fit.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:36 am

I thought Lumenition kits were still available new David? Still listed, though this company doesn't seem to sell to the public: http://www.lumenition.com/optronic-product-guide
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Electrical help