Tonight's question - wire harness flaw?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Tonight's question - wire harness flaw?

Postby jpsmit » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:21 am

I am starting to make sense of the wire harness of the Viva GT. Yesterday I stripped off the harness tape and today started to sort out continuity & condition. This harness came from a GT I had stripped because, while I have a box of harnesses (three to be exact) as mentioned, they were cut into 17 pieces (at least) and therefore useless.

At any rate, tonight I was checking the continuity on the Brown & white wire that runs between the ammeter and the alternator. (The thickest wire in the harness) While there is continuity, it, and each other brown & white wire from each other harness is burnt and/or frayed at the same spot - about a foot or so from the alternator. Since everyone is the same, there must be something causing it - any ideas or solutions?

thanks all!
JP
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Tonight's question - wire harness flaw?

Postby 1972nail » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:19 pm

Wear and tear on the engine support clips which run around the sump and under the crank.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: Tonight's question - wire harness flaw?

Postby jpsmit » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:20 pm

Thanks that's very helpful!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to Electrical help