Wire replacement suggestions

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Wire replacement suggestions

Postby jpsmit » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:04 am

While I am thinking about it, I plan to use relays on my headlights, and horn to lower the draw on the wire harness. Should I use it on anything else?

Also, since I have the wire harness apart, are there any parts of the harness that are "underwired?" which is to say, I can replace pretty much any wire with a heavier gauge - now - any thoughts?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Wire replacement suggestions

Postby 1972nail » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:45 am

I don't think your HB will have a heated rear window but if it has a relay in that circuit would be a good idea.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Johnboy HB » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:13 pm

Someone on here wired their ignition circuit through a relay, as in the live side to the coil to improve reliability, he's a breakdown patrolman & posted a few good ideas so it must make sense, can't remember his username though :oops:
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:23 am

1972nail wrote:I don't think your HB will have a heated rear window but if it has a relay in that circuit would be a good idea.

You're right, it doesn't - because in Canada a heated rear window makes too much sense! :roll: :D
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:23 am

Johnboy HB wrote:Someone on here wired their ignition circuit through a relay, as in the live side to the coil to improve reliability, he's a breakdown patrolman & posted a few good ideas so it must make sense, can't remember his username though :oops:

Ooo interesting - how might I fond out about this?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:20 am

Can't see how wiring the ignition through a relay would make it more reliable. But wiring ignition controlled high power circuits through a relay would take that load from the ignition switch, thus protecting the switch. There are a number of circuits like heater, indicators, HRW, radio which are all ignition controlled and fed from the switch, taking that circuit through a relay would protect the switch.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Johnboy HB » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:00 pm

The reasoning behind wiring the ignition through a relay was, as I remember that as the ignition switch aged, the internal contacts became less able to sustain a stable current thus giving rise to starting & running problems
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help