Thermal Overload Circuit Breaker

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Thermal Overload Circuit Breaker

Postby jpsmit » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:11 pm

This is just a fusible link isn't it?

Is it reliable? Or should I replace it with a fusible link or even a high amp fuse (and if so, what amperage?)
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Thermal Overload Circuit Breaker

Postby dann01 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:53 am

They work pretty well. They are bi metal strips which open the lighting circuit when they get too hot... I have had them open only a couple of times during Viva ownership since the early eighties, and that was when I'd driven nearly 8 hours continuous using high beams quite a bit.

If you replace with a fuse link, don't rate too high, otherwise you'll negate the reason for it in protecting the wiring.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby 1972nail » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Yes, as Danny says, they are pretty reliable with the original lighting setup. The thermal circuit breaker is an automatically resetting circuit breaker rather than a fusible link or a high amp fuse. Adding extra lights or bigger bulbs is what causes problems with this device.

If you're fitting relays to the headlight circuit then the load on this will be greatly reduced and it will never open. It's rated about 28A, I think, but the total current without the headlights on that circuit is about 5A. You can leave it in place, but with the reduced load it will be very overrated as a protection device and therefore ineffective.

Therefore you should consider replacing it with a normal fuse of about 10A to protect the remainder of the lighting circuits which still solely depend on it for protection. That will amount to the dash lights, side lights and the switching current for the headlight relays.

I just fitted a modern 10A blade type fuse in it's place between the spade connectors.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby vauxhallbitz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Went for the MOT today and when I got the car on the ramp I had no side lights. The fuse is OK but I have not checked the voltages yet, I see on the wiring diagram that there is a fusible link which feeds the sidelight circuit, the question is, where is it situated??
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Electrical help