electronic ignition conversion

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

electronic ignition conversion

Postby shaun » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:17 pm

hello viva people.

I'm thinking about converting my HC to electronic ignition and after any advice of those who have done so.
cost, best product, etc.
thanks in advance.
Shaun.
shaun
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: electronic ignition conversion

Postby 1972nail » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:43 pm

The conversion kits from both Accuspark and PowerSpark seem to get both good and bad comments from various owners. I would suggest reading this thread as well.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22328&hilit=bypass
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Paul Dawson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:49 pm

I can vouch for the Accuspark unit, I fitted it a while back with a replacement 12v coil and bypassed the ballast system. Very pleased with the result.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vivapete3 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:17 am

shaun wrote:hello viva people.

I'm thinking about converting my HC to electronic ignition and after any advice of those who have done so.
cost, best product, etc.
thanks in advance.
Shaun.

Hi Shaun,I fitted accuspark electronic ignition to my 2 HC 1256,initially the car would ‘nt Start so also bought the green coil as advised, the main area u need to focus on is isolating in ballast wire in the loom wiring of the car,there was a brilliant email from the Northern Ireland regional secretary on this site, I think it’s under “electrical section”it explains in picture form how to isolate the ballast wire, both cars run really smoothly and less maintenance, good luck, vivapete
vivapete3
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:48 am

vivapete3 wrote:
shaun wrote:hello viva people.

cost, best product, etc.
thanks in advance.
Shaun.

Hi Shaun,I fitted accuspark electronic ignition to my 2 HC 1256,initially the car would ‘nt Start so also bought the green coil as advised, the main area u need to focus on is isolating in ballast wire in the loom wiring of the car,there was a brilliant email from the Northern Ireland regional secretary on this site, I think it’s under “electrical section”it explains in picture form how to isolate the ballast wire, both cars run really smoothly and less maintenance, good luck, vivapete

The instructions re. bypassing the ballast are in 1972nail's link as above - which is what I followed. Dead simple, even I managed to do it first time round.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:11 pm

vivapete3 wrote:Hi Shaun,I fitted accuspark electronic ignition to my 2 HC 1256,initially the car would ‘nt Start so also bought the green coil as advised, the main area u need to focus on is isolating in ballast wire in the loom wiring of the car,there was a brilliant email from the Northern Ireland regional secretary on this site, I think it’s under “electrical section”it explains in picture form how to isolate the ballast wire, both cars run really smoothly and less maintenance, good luck, vivapete

Yes, my link in the post above is the one mentioned here.

I just carried out the same conversion on a beautiful tuned 2300 Magnum Coupe today. A 180 mile round trip across the border into Southern Ireland with a few new ignition parts and a multimeter made a very nice day out in the middle of my Halloween holidays.

The owner couldn't believe how easy it was to do the job and how quickly it was done. He had been running Lumenition electronic ignition on the standard AC Delco coil for the past 10 years and earlier this year the car started giving severe problems. The symptoms were cutting out in traffic, loss of power on long climbs, misfiring after idling for a while and poor hot starting. This had become so bad that the car had been left in the garage since the beginning of the year and not attended any shows.

After discussions with the 'carless' owner at a show a couple of months ago I had diagnosed that the coil was breaking down when hot and giving a poor spark, so a plan was hatched to prepare for a mercy repair mission during the holiday period.

So today a swap over to 12v and a new Accuspark RED coil seems to have solved the problem. The owner could not believe the difference in the driveability of the car and we concluded that the problem of a dodgy coil had been there for a lot longer and had only got to a very noticeable level this year. New plugs and new plug leads were added as a precaution as I had them with me anyway.

The GREEN coil is the correct coil if you retain the resistance wire so I would keep an eye on it as it may well break down when it gets hot if you have bypassed the resistance wire.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby shaun » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:26 pm

thanks for the replies.
shaun
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby mattbs1977 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:20 pm

I'm looking at doing the same job on my '71 Viva HC (1159cc) so this thread has been reallu useful.

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year!

:party2:
1971 Vauxhall Viva HC, 1159 cc, Deluxe
mattbs1977
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby daveyc123 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:54 am

Hi guys, looking to do this conversion on my 1256 hc
I'd like to replace the coil as well. So if I buy this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Viv ... SwHoFXvYor
Will the red coil be the one I need?
daveyc123
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbr341 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:59 pm

Hi
I think i may do the same with my HB SL iam running it now with the ballast resistor disconnected starts and runs fine but not sure how long it will.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Electrical help