Rear lights going out at random

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Rear lights going out at random

Postby Of_Machines » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:38 pm

I've got a new rather puzzling issue, the rear lights on the Firenza have started going out at random while driving, the way I can tell is the dashboard lights go out at the same time. It's happend about four times now, they usually come back on again after maybe 10 seconds though one time were out for about a minuite. I fiddled with all of the wires in the boot but can't seem to find any loose connections. When it happens flipping the light switch on and off a few times has seemed to bring them back on. Could it be an issue with the switch?
Of_Machines
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Rear lights going out at random

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:46 pm

If it were the switch, you'd expect it to take the front lights out as well as there aren't separate connections for each. Loose connection at the bulkhead connector, perhaps?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Rupert, it's the switch. You'll find that the contacts inside the switch that make the circuit to the sidelights are dirty and need cleaned. You can take the switch apart quite easily by carefully bending back the small metal tabs that hold it all together or if it is an all plastic switch by carefully sliding something like a small screwdriver past the plastic clips.

Watch out for any springs and small copper contacts that might fall out. Wipe out all the old grease, clean the contacts up, both on the switch body and the piece that slides and apply some white lithium grease as a lubricant. It's better to apply some proper electrical contact grease but it is expensive to buy for only one small job. Re-assembly is just reversal of dismantling.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Of_Machines » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Cool thankyou, i'll have a go and let you know how I get on!
Of_Machines
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:36 pm

David, if it's the switch, how does that not affect the front lights? Or am I reading too much into the original post?

Not saying you're wrong - most of these switches need cleaning up after all this time - but I'm just intrigued as to why it only affects the rear lights.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Of_Machines » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:35 pm

So somehow the switch itself was causing all of the wiring to heat up and melt, apparently wasn't anything to do with the altinator. The garage fitted a rocker switch from another type of car for now as they couldn't find a replacement Viva one. Is there any way of finding out what exactly is wrong with my original switch and repairing it?
Of_Machines
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:45 pm

See my post above.....
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Electrical help