Wiper motor and blowing fuses?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Re: Wiper motor and blowing fuses?

Postby HC Fairley » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:27 pm

Mike Attew wrote: however after checking the motor my wipers have never returned home when the switch was turned off, it was all ok in the motor but I found the switch was wired wrong.

Mine never return home they always stop as soon as the switch is turned off, are they meant to go back to the bottom of the windscreen ?
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:07 pm

I can't remember if the rocker switch type is self parking or not, I haven't driven one since 1983 or so. The 2 speed stalk switch type is self parking.

Do you think it was the sticky grease laden brush or the incorrect wiring that caused the problem?

I read the manual again this morning and noted that Fuse 3 also supplies the radio and cigar lighter. It may be worth checking those circuits as well just to be sure.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby HC Fairley » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:19 pm

1972nail wrote:I can't remember if the rocker switch type is self parking or not, I haven't driven one since 1983 or so. The 2 speed stalk switch type is self parking.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, before the stalk fell off my wipers didn't self park either but I possibly have a wiring problem there anyway. I just assumed at the time it wasn't a feature.
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:15 pm

No radio or cigar lighter on the circuit. I suspect it was the grease and the stuck brush which must have been arcing that caused the problem. Mine are self parking now. The 2 contacts for this can be seen on the brown cover, unfortunately I forgot to take pictures when it was cleaned up inside as I could see where the self park contacts made. This was what made me change over the wiring spades on the switch.
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:19 pm

The self park contact marks can be seen a bit on this picture, they operate by staying live until one looses contact on a piece of plastic .
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:28 pm

I need to look at the wipers on the Firenza - they self-park, but not quite all the way down, so I have to flick the switch again to get them that last little bit. If I just switch them on again from the first park position, they go down a little and then reverse for the full sweep. I've never had a motor in pieces so I'm hoping I can adjust it in there somewhere. It was a NOS motor when the car went back on the road, but as far as I recall it's always done it.

There's some stuff in the Haynes book about self-parking contacts inside the motor. I thought they all self-parked, but I'm not sure.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Previous

Return to Electrical help