Wiper motor and blowing fuses?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Wiper motor and blowing fuses?

Postby Mike Attew » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:12 pm

Today I was out and it started raining, wipers didn't work and I found the fuse blown again. Replaced the fuse and wipers worked for about 10 minutes and blew another fuse. At home checked it out and replaced the fuse, lubricated linkages and replaced the fuse and it ran for a 1/4 hour ok. Had a cuppa and went out and thought I would try them again and they didn't work. The fuse had blown again.

Anybody had something similar?
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Wiper motor and blowing fuses?

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:23 pm

Possibly the motor itself if the linkages are free, or check the loom in case there's a problem where it comes through the bulkhead. Unlikely to be that if it's being left running when the car isn't moving, and fails after a while. Is the motor hot when the fuse blows?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby rizzo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Sounds like your motor is probably working under load, ie seizing up, hence blowing a fuse, as long as your wiper spindle and linkage are free, ie very little resistance, (check by disconnecting from the motor and lift blades off the screen) i would be looking for another motor.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:56 pm

I would agree about the motor being suspect, but check earths and the bulkhead connections as well. Any resistance will draw extra current and put strain on the fuse.

I've just checked and there should be nothing else on Fuse 3 apart from the washer motor. If that wasn't activated then it is probably OK.

The wiper switch itself may be at fault by causing a short across the 2 speeds at once. A clean around the connections and if you can strip the switch down to clean internally then that would be advised.

I do have a good supply of 35A fuses but you would be best to check as much as you can before risking another.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:40 pm

I have removed the motor tonight to check tomorrow, I will then check the switch. The connections to the motor weren't too cracky either. I also only have the old push washer system. I will let you know how I get on. Just annoying as I can't go out if it's raining.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:50 pm

So your wipers are on a rocker switch? I would definitely take that apart to clean.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby rizzo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:58 pm

Mike Attew wrote:I have removed the motor tonight to check tomorrow, I will then check the switch. The connections to the motor weren't too cracky either. I also only have the old push washer system. I will let you know how I get on. Just annoying as I can't go out if it's raining.

:shock: you take your HB out in the rain? :o
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:24 am

I broke my stalk a while ago and wired my wipers up through a rocker switch on the dash. Had a switch melt on me one night about a year ago...

I'm assuming it was because of how dirty it was because the new one got cleaned before installation and I've had no problems this last year and I drove it daily then so it was in the rain A LOT :imsmiling:
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:04 am

rizzo wrote:
Mike Attew wrote:I have removed the motor tonight to check tomorrow, I will then check the switch. The connections to the motor weren't too cracky either. I also only have the old push washer system. I will let you know how I get on. Just annoying as I can't go out if it's raining.

:shock: you take your HB out in the rain? :o

It was sunny when I left, 3 miles down the road it was raining. :(
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:55 pm

Stripped and rebuilt motor and switch, somebody had been a bit generous with grease in the past and one brush had stuck, switch was clean, however after checking the motor my wipers have never returned home when the switch was turned off, it was all ok in the motor but I found the switch was wired wrong. All seems ok now, no fuse blown today [ touch wood ]
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Electrical help