Fusible link

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Fusible link

Postby Mike Attew » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Is there a modern way of replacing the fusible link behind the battery?, mine has the 2 wires and has fallen to bits.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Fusible link

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:19 pm

The fusible link is the cable running from the solenoid, not the brass joining connector. You can just fit a suitable piece of brass to join the two female connectors together.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:34 pm

I get it now, everything under the bonnet died while driving but then started again and I thought it was the block as it had fell to bits, must just be bad connections.
Do you know the size wire of the link? or what sort of amps it will blow at out of curiosity. Could a reset overload circuit breaker like on mobility scooters be used?
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:59 pm

I had wanted to replace the links on my car with circuit breakers and I searched and searched for info on the rating of the link to no avail. The earlier car with one link the link has a higher rating than the post 74 cars with two links, that's all I've been able to find. I has guessed that it is probably rated around 60A to 80A on early cars and 40A to 60A each on later cars but never tried it out.

So in the end I worked on the basis that I've never heard of a link failing or getting burnt out and just refitted the links as they were. If it works then why change it was my reckoning.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:15 pm

Reckon you are right, I keep searching as I like to learn and be ready for a problem. I see the wire is 35/012 which in the wiring spec I found is rated at about 22amp which seems low. I will clean mine up at present but while driving and everything under the bonnet goes dead isn't a pleasant experience.

Would it be as high as you think though?

Just been reading a thread on this and found it was you asking about it :D
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:00 pm

The 22A rating will be a safe working load and not a fusing load. The fusing load could be 3 to 4 times the safe working load and that's where I guessed 60 to 80A fusing load for your spec of wire. I'm no electrician and the fusing load rating of wires is dependent on many variables so that's why I left the links standard on my car.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Electrical help