Wiper Motor wiring

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Wiper Motor wiring

Postby hbr341 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:08 pm

Hi
I have got problems with the wiper motor on my 1968 HB the motor is scrap but I have got a problem with the wiring the white/green wire that fits onto the motor is live as it should be with the ign on but I have got no power at the switch the fuse is ok and got 12v but switch is dead both wires they are black and black/ red they disappear into the loom. Any clues please.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Wiper Motor wiring

Postby thomas » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:14 pm

Not sure about alternator-equipped or later ones, or two-speed ones either, but the wiper switch on dynamo-equipped (or formerly dynamo-equipped) single-speed models switched the negative side. So having no live at the switch is normal, if you did have live juice there it would be coming through the motor and back to the switch on the Black-Red wire, but quite coincidentally. Black to the switch is constantly earthed, probably to a screw under the dash with several other wires also attached. Black-Red from the switch goes to, carries earth to the motor. There's also an essential earth wire (for parking them after the switch has been turned off) with ring terminal going from the motor itself to a convenient earth-point near the motor, which could, if lengthened a bit, be taken inside the dash with the other wires, but is short and just long enough to go to one of the screws holding the scuttle cover panel in place.

The small image below is a link to a much larger image wiring-diagram for dynamo HBs:

thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby thomas » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:31 pm

This might be useful too

:shock:
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbr341 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi Thomas
Thanks for that very helpful it should all work ok when I get another motor as I have got live on the white/green wire on my old motor it had a green wire and a red one so would the live white/green go onto the red on the motor ?
Thanks.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby thomas » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:02 pm

Don't know Chris, it sounds logical. :)

It has been eight years since I last had the wiper-motor out, or last looked in there, I'm scared to, though as it stands now, with the wings off and work ongoing on the inner-wings and A-Pillar I can at present look along this drain channel from the outside of the car, the car itself is at present inaccessible in a workship half-a-mile away.

This pic of mine is from 2012.
It just shows a double-bullet moulded connector which connected to a corresponding male pair at the end of a short stub on the motor end, the other ends of which stub were soldered to tabs on the motor body. I can't remember if it was keyed to only connect the one (right) way, or check right now what the colours of the wires on the motor end's short stub were. Just have to wing it I'm afraid and figure it out, see if anyone else has any ideas, further info or can help. I had one Live, one Earth coming from the switch and a separate Earth to the scuttle-cover panel.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbr341 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi Thomas
Thanks again for your help I am sure I will figure it out one way or another .

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:17 pm

Forgive Me Chris I don't exactly understand what you are asking but, I do have my wipers out of the car and handy if you need me to test or check anything. Let me know

JP
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby thomas » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:44 am

Had to get the reading glasses out scrutinise the wiring diagram for the later and alternator equipped models with two-speed wipers. For these the live side is switched, but the motor also has a constant live from the ign position (rather than acc) of the ignition switch which then goes through fuse 2, before splitting to go to both the motor directly and also to the three terminal switch. The live feed to the motor is green, the live feed to the switch is also green. The two-speed motor then has:

Two constantly earthed earths, one from the loom and one local to the motor, which is nuts! - Black.
A live as mentioned above having come through the ignition switch then through fuse 2 - Green
A switched live for slow speed - Yellow
A switched live for high speed - Red

Not sure if the yellow remains live when the red is made live when switched to high-speed. It probably does as that way the switch internally could be the very same switch as used for the sidelamps/headlamps, just with different markings.

Is this any help, are you hoping to fit a two-speed motor where you once had single-speed one? So do I, someday.

:sleepy6:
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbr341 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi Thomas
I have got it sorted now the red wire is the negative ie to the switch and the green is live Ive done it now all working fine I woudnt bother with 2 speed wipers they were fitted to later HB as you said Thanks for your help.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help