Temperature gauge reading high (sort of)

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Temperature gauge reading high (sort of)

Postby Icedmunkie » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:57 pm

I am wondering if anybody can help...

As you know I have fitted a Mazda MX5 engine and box to my Firenza but I know have an issue with temperature gauge of sorts. The gauge reads fine but it says its too hot, which would be true if the temperature was this hot with the original 1256 engine, however MX5's run a lot hotter with 87-93 Celsius being the optimum temperature.

What I am asking is if anybody knows how to get the target temperature of 87-93 to sit in the middle of the gauge, so that when it goes hotter than this it moves to hot?

It might not be possible but I was hoping not to have any extra gauges unless I really have to have any.

Car is currently using a 3 wire temperature sender from the MX5 with two wires going to the ECU which gives me a digital output on the laptop and the third wire goes to the gauge.

Chris
Last edited by Icedmunkie on Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Fuel gauge reading high (sort of)

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:02 pm

Some kind of resistor in line from the third wire to the gauge would seem to be the way to sort it out. Exactly what value of resistor is anyone's guess, though it's probably a calculation based on the standard running temperature of an OHV engine vs. the standard running temperature of your MX5 engine.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:15 pm

Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby brading » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:26 pm

Connect as diagram changing fuel gauge for temp gauge. Adjust potentiometer till you get the reading you want then check the Ohms reading between A and B terminal with a multimeter. Now you know what size resistor to put in the line to get the reading you want.

brading
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:18 pm

That diagram suggests three connections on the fuel gauge, I'm not familiar with anything other than the seven dial dash, but that only has two - one from 12v off the voltage regulator, and the other direct from the sender.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby brading » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:56 pm

I just put the earth in like that clarification. If the gauge is earthed they usually does it through the body.
brading
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:11 am

The instrument cluster is powered via a Voltage stabiliser mounted on the back of the cluster - if you are connecting direct to the battery ( higher voltage than the stabiliser o/p) for your check will it effect the value of the resister you need :?:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:11 am

The instrument cluster is powered via a Voltage stabiliser mounted on the back of the cluster - if you are connecting direct to the battery ( higher voltage than the stabiliser o/p) for your check will it effect the value of the resister you need :?:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:55 am

brading wrote:I just put the earth in like that clarification. If the gauge is earthed they usually does it through the body.

Certainly on the seven-dial dash, the only connection to earth is via the fuel tank sender unit. The instrument panel itself is plastic, so there's no other earthing present.

Fred Dukes wrote:The instrument cluster is powered via a Voltage stabiliser mounted on the back of the cluster - if you are connecting direct to the battery ( higher voltage than the stabiliser o/p) for your check will it effect the value of the resister you need :?:

I would think the thing to do would be to use the output from the voltage regulator where the diagram says "Ignition terminal".
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Icedmunkie » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:20 pm

brading wrote:Connect as diagram changing fuel gauge for temp gauge. Adjust potentiometer till you get the reading you want then check the Ohms reading between A and B terminal with a multimeter. Now you know what size resistor to put in the line to get the reading you want.

Gauge Check.jpg

I am assuming that this link will do the job in adjusting it?
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/multi-gau ... o4QAvD_BwE

Thanks for the diagram :)
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Electrical help