Indicators flashing fast Viva 1972

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Re: Indicators flashing fast Viva 1972

Postby Viva Man » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:16 pm

continued from last comments. Here's a new one on me. Disconnected the flasher unit and it still flashes fast both sides. At this stage i think i'm going mad or the car is haunted.

Why would the indicators still flash fast on both sides when the flasher unit is totally disconnected?
Does this mean the flasher unit is irreverent or by passed?
Could it have shorted past the flasher unit?

Any help please....
Viva Man
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:26 pm

Is there possibly another flasher unit somewhere in the circuit?

If you've just removed the flasher unit and not bridged the wires, they shouldn't come on at all, if you've bridged the wires then they should come on and stay on. The power comes from the fuse, to the flasher unit, then to the switch, and then on to whichever pair of indicators the switch points to.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby cooperman » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:52 am

I'm not good with 12v electrics but is there an aftermarket hazard switch fitted that may cause an issue? and I don't mean any offence by this but have you swapped the correct relay? I did it once on a different car, swapped the relay but it was for a different item...
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:04 pm

As long as it is 12V the flasher shouldn't matter.

I just googled it and it also mentions grounds:

"Most of the time a fast blinking turn signal or blinker indicates a bulb is out. You see, each turn signal has a flashing unit that briefly pauses the circuit which produces the blinking action for front and rear turn signal bulbs. Turn signals operate at a specific resistance, as bulbs fail the resistance changes its pace by flashing and clicking faster. If my turn signal flashes but the bulbs are in good shape, this may indicate that the flasher relay has failed, it’s not getting enough voltage, or there’s a problem with the ground connection."
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Viva Man » Sun May 15, 2022 6:08 pm

Hi Everyone.

Resolved the problem of the indicators. Had to have an electrician look at the feed.

Although my car is 1972 apparently in the past it has had a replacement wiring core from a newer model as the colour codes did not all match up. and for some reason it bypassed the flasher unit, still dont understand how this was done before.
Anyway this has now been resolved and all working ok.

thank for all your advice.
Viva Man
SL Viva
SL Viva

Previous

Return to Electrical help