Indicators flashing fast Viva 1972

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Indicators flashing fast Viva 1972

Postby Viva Man » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:39 am

Hello

My car has started with both sides the indicators bulbs flashing fast. Both front and back are fast, and left and right are fast.
But no bulbs have gone. Any ideas please?

thank you
Viva Man
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Indicators flashing fast Viva 1972

Postby jpsmit » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:20 pm

On our more modern cars when this has happened a good clean of the sockets and contacts has often helped.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:10 pm

Do you have another flasher unit that you could try? The fact that all four do it suggests that it is something common.

I've replaced one of mine with a more modern flasher relay rather than the older bimetallic-strip style flasher units, and will do the other when I get a chance.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Bob perry » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:24 pm

Almost certainly the flasher unit, if all the bulbs are still flashing!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Viva Man » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:11 pm

Hi

Put new flasher unit on. still doing the same. I have also checked all bulbs and they look ok but i'm going to buy 4 more to see if this is the culprit.

Does the flasher unit have to be Earthed?
Viva Man
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Viva Man » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:03 pm

New bulbs fitted same problem. :(
Viva Man
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:07 pm

Viva Man wrote:Does the flasher unit have to be Earthed?

Does it have two terminals, or three? If it has three, one of them is a separate earth and should be marked. Are there any markings on the flasher unit? Could it be a modern one that's intended to be a hazard flasher, and therefore is expecting more load?

Flashing quickly on an original-style bimetallic flasher unit, one with two terminals, suggests that the load is too high. Flashing quickly on a modern relay flasher unit usually means that a bulb is out.

It's a puzzle.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Viva Man » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:47 am

Hi Nail,

Thanks

So this is where i am.

Replace 2 prong square flasher unit, with round unit 2 pronged. ( this looks like an original)
Replaced all bulbs
The fast flashing it still happening there on both side sides.

I watch on Youtube where you can add a wire and jump accross the flasher unit. To show if this is the flasher unit or not.
I also saw it could be the indicator switch arm.

If this was a short on one of the wires going to one side, then the other side would work ok. So i'm thinking it could be a short ( power surge) going to the indicator switch as its happening on both sides. Thinking it maybe the main feed shorting.

Any thoughts?
Thank you
Viva Man
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:27 am

If it was shorting, would that not just blow fuse number 2? To make it flash more quickly, it needs to be drawing more current through the flasher unit. Perhaps that points to poor connections somewhere causing it to heat up more quickly than usual, but that doesn't explain how it then cools more quickly too.

The Haynes manual has a section on troubleshooting trouble with indicators, and there is no mention of what to look at when they flash too quickly.

You are using normal bulbs, I take it, and not LEDs?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Viva Man » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:50 am

Hi Nail

Yes i'm using normal bulbs. But now it looks like the solenoid has gone. Twisted the key to start the car and nothing there. Lights are on the dashboard. So i tried the screw driver on the solenoid across the terminals ( dont try this at home) and it started. So could be a coincidence this solenoid part failing. Or could be linked.

Understand what you were saying about the manuals. I have a few different ones and the information on this is scarce.

I am going to strip down the case on the steering column to see if there is any lose or bad connections.
Viva Man
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Electrical help