HC ALTERNATOR

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

HC ALTERNATOR

Postby foshi » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:54 pm

had no luck finding a replacement delco , can get lucas no problem , bur have 2 plugs in the delco only one on the lucas anyone can explain how to alter the wiring to suit the lucas paul
foshi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: HC ALTERNATOR

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:34 pm

I'll have a look at mine and come back to you. As I recall it, I pushed the spade terminals out of the Delco connector and just stuck them straight onto the appropriate connections, leaving one of the smaller wires off to the side, which I taped over.

Can you confirm what colour wires you have on the smaller and larger connectors please? I think I expect it to be two large brown wires, and then a small brown wire and a small brown/yellow one, but it may be different on Magnum due to age.

You can buy proper Lucas connectors, and when I get a chance I will do, but there's no problem using the terminals - I seem to recall it's been like that on my Firenza for 20+ years.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby foshi » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:02 pm

droopsnoot wrote:I'll have a look at mine and come back to you. As I recall it, I pushed the spade terminals out of the Delco connector and just stuck them straight onto the appropriate connections, leaving one of the smaller wires off to the side, which I taped over.

Can you confirm what colour wires you have on the smaller and larger connectors please? I think I expect it to be two large brown wires, and then a small brown wire and a small brown/yellow one, but it may be different on Magnum due to age.

You can buy proper Lucas connectors, and when I get a chance I will do, but there's no problem using the terminals - I seem to recall it's been like that on my Firenza for 20+ years.

hi just the one large brown rest as above paul
foshi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby StefanM » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:47 am

Bear in mind that the delco have both positive and negative in the plug. Most aftermarket lucas units have 2x positive and ground in casing.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby foshi » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:00 pm

StefanM wrote:Bear in mind that the delco have both positive and negative in the plug. Most aftermarket lucas units have 2x positive and ground in casing.
any idea how i alter the wiring to fit the single plug paul
foshi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:12 pm

As I recall it, I just disconnected the brown/yellow wire and taped it over, pushed the other connectors out of the big plastic plug and put them in the appropriate terminals on the back of the alternator. Probably be the weekend before I can check now, unfortunately.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby foshi » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:45 pm

droopsnoot wrote:As I recall it, I just disconnected the brown/yellow wire and taped it over, pushed the other connectors out of the big plastic plug and put them in the appropriate terminals on the back of the alternator. Probably be the weekend before I can check now, unfortunately.

in no rush if you could have a look would be great paul
foshi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue May 02, 2023 6:53 pm

I finally remembered to check my alternator.

In the back of it I have the large brown wire in a large spade connector plugged in to one of the large terminals (they're connected inside the alternator) and I have two brown/yellow wires in a single small spade connector plugged into the smaller terminal. The other small wire (which I seem to recall was brown, but I can't see it without jacking the car up) is not plugged in anywhere, I've just covered the connector in insulation tape so no water gets into it.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby thomas » Tue May 02, 2023 8:34 pm

I remember that when converting my HB from dynamo/control-box combo, the Delco alternators had, as well as the big spade connector which went to the battery end of the starter solenoid, two smaller connectors, one for the charge/ignition lamp, and one other to add, that was called the SENS wire, which connects directly to the battery positive terminal.

You could connect this SENS wire at the alternator itself to its positive output terminal/big spade too, or also to the battery end of the solenoid, but a separate thin (as unfused) short wire to the battery itself is thought better. It may not output anything if the SENS terminal isn't connected.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby thomas » Wed May 03, 2023 12:01 am

Just had a look at a Delco one. The smaller terminals are marked IND and BAT. IND is the warning-lamp, BAT is the sense wire described above. For the Lucas you won't need the wire that went to the Delco's BAT connection at all.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Electrical help