HC WIPER SWITCH

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

HC WIPER SWITCH

Postby foshi » Tue May 09, 2023 4:49 pm

more problems with the hc , the column wiper switch has been stiff to use today it just gave up have took it apart new switch needed. have found one but at £85.oo is there a alternative that will fit lucas type or just fit a dash type paul
foshi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: HC WIPER SWITCH

Postby droopsnoot » Tue May 09, 2023 6:02 pm

A mate of mine has a 1984 Reliant Scimitar GTC and the column stalks look very similar. I don't know whether the wiring is the same. Similar stalk (again, not sure about the wiring) is used on the Aston Martin Lagonda (the square one) but that probably won't make them any cheaper.

Are you certain the one you have cannot be repaired?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby chopper » Wed May 10, 2023 7:59 am

Yes, the wiper switch is quite complex.
Is yours repairable?
I have a broken one where the back has cracked off revealing the four vertical contact `batons` that the moving contact button (at the inner end of the stalk) moves across,!-its quite a tricky thing to puzzle with though-especially when it springs apart!
An early Chevette one might offer an option but the hole centres are slightly different ?-could it be made to fit??
And just to mention that the wiper sw. assembly originally is riveted (twice) to the plate and not forgetting the far LH screw which is actually part of the moving stalk mechanism and takes the strain when you release the screen-wash action and it springs back, without this screw and its large washer the the switch underneath would take a mini- thump each time used!
Hope this is of some help.
chopper
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby foshi » Wed May 10, 2023 1:14 pm

had apart totally broken , the early chevette are just as expensive when you find them going back to a dash panel set up , will leave the old in place paul
foshi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri May 12, 2023 9:47 pm

I have some twin stork switches which have broken indicator/horn stalk side and the wiper side should be still ok.
I am at VauxALL Gaydon tomorrow and can put one in the car - other than that I will be in touch next week.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby chopper » Sat May 13, 2023 11:00 am

Moved
Last edited by chopper on Mon May 15, 2023 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
chopper
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby foshi » Sat May 13, 2023 5:08 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:I have some twin stork switches which have broken indicator/horn stalk side and the wiper side should be still ok.
I am at VauxALL Gaydon tomorrow and can put one in the car - other than that I will be in touch next week.

that would be great if you could get in touch when you get back paul
foshi
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help