Mystery Stalk switch?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Mystery Stalk switch?

Postby chopper » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:03 am

Another throw of the dice to try and find out what my mystery(so far) stalk switch is from.
Have part nos.
VM 9106 9968 - although the fourth `six` is slightly in doubt!
Lucas 33922A 1683
Hoping some lovely peeps have some reference books better than i can access to solve it ! :?

With thanks in advance

As requested some pics.
Lower pic. rotates when you click on it
Lucas part no. also corrected to 33922A :oops:. I`m told 33922 occurs on some Chevette parts?
Attachments
Last edited by chopper on Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chopper
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Mystery Stalk switch?

Postby jpsmit » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:12 am

not anywhere near my parts books, but, do you have a picture that you might also share? (and happy to check the parts books when I get home)
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby chopper » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:15 pm

Photos added :D
chopper
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby jpsmit » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:31 am

thanks - doesn't look familier but will check my manuals when I get home
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:13 am

It looks similar to a HC one, but the part number doesn't appear in my HC books. There are quite a few different indicator stalks listed, but none end in 9968.

Chevette is a possibility as they also look similar, but as far as I know the functions are the same as the HC so I'm not sure why it would have a different number.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby HC Fairley » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:05 am

It could be HC Viva, the stalk is identical. If it's chevette it's from a 77-79 model as the centre yellow plastic with the tabs in it would be different I believe. When I was looking into steering wheel bosses to fit to my HC I was concerned I wouldn't be able to find one. Looking into Chevette alternatives 1972Nail told me only the 77-79 chevette one would work because of the tabs needed for the indicator self cancel. If you look at the plastic tab in the centre of the assembly you can see the cut-outs for the 2 tabs to sit into. These were not present on later chevettes.

With that being said it could maybe also be Victor/VX 4/90 or other Vauxhall's of that era, I'm unsure.

In short, could be HC or early chevette, or something else !
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby chopper » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:50 pm

Well,- it`s not for an HC Viva because the left hand side of the metal plate has a snub end not pointy and an HC wiper switch will not fit because the far left hand hole is further away, so this locator/screw hole will not line up with an HC wiper unit. Also the black plastic column clamp behind is on top whereas on an HC it is below. (unless I`ve got it upside down?)

Note also that the indicator arrows point left and right whereas on an HC they point up and down. (in my experience)

I believe it is shown correctly with indicators operated by the `right hand` which points to a 70`s era car as things changed to `left Hand`operation late 70`s /80`s as we became more euro/compliant etc.--of course, as mentioned, I might have it upside down!!!! :oops: --hence the part nos. are all important to trace. :wink:

Cheers for all efforts so far :D
chopper
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:27 pm

chopper wrote:
Note also that the indicator arrows point left and right whereas on an HC they point up and down. (in my experience)

Mine go left to right 1975 HC Deluxe 4 door with letterbox dash.

My gauges also used the symbols rather than words for fuel level and stuff like oil pressure high beam etc.

Perhaps it was a year thing?
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC Fairley » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:30 pm

It doesn't appear to be upside down. The beams from the light engraving are pointing downwards which is how they point on mine too. Is there a horn symbol on the end of the stalk? This would be another indication of the correct orientation
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby chopper » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:24 am

Yes there is a horn symbol.
Differences in the switch symbols (yours-mine) is another oddity but nonetheless my mystery item is not for an HC because of the shape of the metal mounting plate on the left side which doesn`t match with an HC wiper switch,
I don`t think we can get a result until someone recognises the shape or finds a part number match - that`s my hope anyway.
chopper
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Electrical help