Stereo help

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Stereo help

Postby Steve » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:11 pm

Hi

I have a 1970 hb it had an old MW/LW radioihave been given a newer FM Blaupunkt stereo which is has basic FM/cassette(i dont want a nickable cd player)

I took the old one out and it doesnt have a seperate earth,the aerial seems to act as the earth.When i plug the aerial in with live connected on the old stereo it works but when i disconnect it doesnt.

The newer stereo obviously has live earth and speaker wires..the aerial connection is different to the old one so it wont fit.

i tried to connect up but nothing.. did find another black wire under the dash and wondered if it was an old earth again nothing.

Will i have to create another earth somewhere on the car? (being new to Vivas) is the viva on a 12 volt system? i've tested the stereo to the battery and it works fine

Steve
Steve

Postby mazzo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:55 pm

Hi

The viva is a 12 volt negative earth system.

Depending on where the old radio was mounted, if it was screwed into the facia by the gearlever, it will be earthed by the screws there. Some of the old radios do work on the basis of the aerial providing the earth, but for your Blaupunkt, I would look for one of the screws you can loosen around the dash area and just put the earth wire around - or put a longer piece of wire in if it won't reach.

Good luck!
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Steve » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:57 pm

Thanks Mazza

Its more straight forward than i thought then,,i will try the earth tomorrow.

Steve
Steve

Postby mazzo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:22 am

You're welcome!

Obviously the screw you use will need to screw into metal work somewhere.

Has it got an in-line fuse with the radio? I notice some don't now. If not get one. Be a shame to have a problem and blow the radio - or worse, have a fire.

If your avatar is of your Viva - it looks very nice!
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Steve » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:14 am

Thanks.
I got the radio sorted,just a matter of ordering a connector for the earth, it enables the old style earth to be converted to fit a new style stereo,works fine now

Steve
Steve

Radio

Postby hutchimr » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:44 am

Hi Steve

Are you selling the old radio? I'm looking for an olkd Vauxhall one, it doesn't have to work.

Mike
hutchimr
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Steve » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:32 pm

Hi Mike,

No sorry im going to keep the original radio so i can put it back in if i sell the car.i took it out as i wanted an FM stereo for the moment

bet one will come up on ebay spooner or later,,
Steve
Steve

Return to Electrical help