Crazy Indicators

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Crazy Indicators

Postby HC » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:02 pm

My indicators on a 1971 HC seems that isn't working properly, When i switches on the indicators either left or right it will flashes both ways together (hazards) although i have'nt got a hazard switch.

Can anyone help? Thanks
Chris HA 137 MALTA
HC

Crazy Indicators

Postby MattHC1600SL » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:10 pm

Sounds like you need a new indicator switch unless anyone has been messing around with the wiring near the steering column. There is a male and female connector hanging loose under the column, if they are mistakenly connected together it will cause this. Failing that it must be the switch.

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:27 pm

Thanks mate i'll give a check. Where can i find the flashing unit(relay)?
HC

Crazy Indicators

Postby MattHC1600SL » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:41 pm

It will be clipped to the inside of the parcel shelf on the drivers side next to the steering column. Silver square box, 2 wires on it. Matt.

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby HC » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:19 pm

Thanks mate i'll give a check
HC

Re: Crazy Indicators

Postby Jammz_R » Tue May 29, 2007 9:25 pm

MattHC1600SL wrote:It will be clipped to the inside of the parcel shelf on the drivers side next to the steering column. Silver square box, 2 wires on it. Matt.

Is this where the relay is on all viva's? I just tried to find mine with no luck :( The parcel shelf is the little black plastic cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel?

My car is a 1978 HC, and the indicators started playing up today, I know it's the relay as it works sometimes and all the bulbs are fine, I just have to find the relay first :?
1978 Pinto Powered HC Viva
Jammz_R
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby psl » Tue May 29, 2007 9:35 pm

right of steering wheel, look down to the trinket tray (below the air vent in your dash) put your hand inside and over the top of this. The relay will be located to the right mounted on the side of the A post panel, your best bet if you cant see it is remove the tray, 4 screws and a good pull (very hard to get out) the you cant miss it. All relays are located there unless the owners before you have moved it.
sorry i dont sell viva parts any more.
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Jammz_R » Tue May 29, 2007 9:51 pm

Cheers, I will have to locate it this weekend, in the meantime I am having to manually flash my indicators :roll: I'm sure it's still in that area as I could it hear clicking before it died :(
1978 Pinto Powered HC Viva
Jammz_R
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed May 30, 2007 8:49 am

Are you sure the earths are good? "Works sometimes" is a classic pointer to a dodgy earth on the lamp housings which makes contact sometimes and not others - for example it might work better in the rain, if water gets up the front arches.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Electrical help