It wont go!!

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Postby dann01 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:44 am

I still say the match idea or a varient of is the best thing for it. I mean look who owns it, poor car must be at it's wits end... No wonder it won't start. It's had enough of you peter. Stop harrasing it. Lets put it out of it's misery... Where's my matches.... Clara, help.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby Clara » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:19 am

Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:53 pm

Not actually checked if the dizzy is going round. Todays episode. Changed the rotor arm, no joy. All the connections underneath the fuse box looks ok. Dan I found the link you were talking about, its under the dash, two brown wires and what looks like a set of conntacts, think this is a thermal cutout?? Removed ignition switch and tried 'hotwiring' it. Still no joy, but on the third attempt at doing this, the dash and all other elec items that had been dead, came back to life! They all work again, even with the ignition switch reconnected. The fuel gauge goes to full with the switch connected, works normal without the switch?? Tried again with a direct feed to the coil from the battery, and again with a direct feed from the ignition terminal on the multiblock off the igntion switch to the coil, still nothing. I'm stumped. Also checked the wire underneath the baseplate in the dizzy, thats ok. Is your GLS sick of you Dan?
Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby dann01 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:21 am

This is a daft question Pete, but you have checked the integrity of the wires involved haven't you?.. I mean you have put a circuit tester across them between componant to componant? Cos for the instrument to suddenly come to life as they have done while being hot wired is flukish.

My GLS gave up on me ages ago... though I shall soon have to do something about becoming re-aquainted. At least she starts and runs though Pete.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby lisbon_road » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:21 am

Failure of the dogs on the top of the oil pump driving the distributor was a regular Viva failure (and other cars of the era). Try taking the distributor cap off and turn the rotor arm - if the distributor is not connected to the engine, you've found the problem. We can discuss what to do if that is it when you've tried it. Good luck!
lisbon_road
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:32 pm

The dizzy does turn, I have had the drive break in the past on another one. I have checked the wires and replaced some of them with new ones.
Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Previous

Return to Electrical help