It wont go!!

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

It wont go!!

Postby hbpeter » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:45 pm

Help, my 69 HB wont start. Engine turns over normal, battery in good health and charge. Theres no spark. Changed the coil, condenser(twice), regapped the points, dizzy cap leads plugs all checked out ok. Changed the LT wire from the coil to the points. Still no spark. One of the tests in the HAynes manual says to check if the dash gauges are working. When I turn the ignition on, the ignition/oil lights come on as normal, but the fuel gague goes to full(no temp gauge). The oil light never goes out even though the engine is turning over normal. The manual says it could be a problem with the supply to the ignition switch or the multi plug on the switch. Removed ignition switch removed plug, all seems ok, nothing loose/broken. Replaced plug and switch, now I have no igniyion/oil lights, no fuel gauge. Engine still turns over as normal?? Any ideas? Car has dynamo and control box.
Peter(HB87,HBPeter)
hbpeter
Register Rep

It wont go!!

Postby MattHC1600SL » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:00 pm

Wire a temporary wire from battery + positive terminal to + side of coil, if car now starts id go for a faulty ignition switch. Matt.

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:05 pm

Tried putting a supply from the battery to the coil. No joy. Tried it with another coil still no joy. Dash still dead, engine turns over normally. Been round earth points all ok.
Peter.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby cossieviva » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:22 pm

check all the fuses make sure they are clean and in good condition then test for power on the pozative side of the coil if every thing ok it sould start if not put a match to the bloody thing lol :lol:
cossieviva

Postby crazy viva lady » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 pm

If the car is positive earth you need to take the wire from the negative battery terminal to the coil. If you haven't got a spark then try putting a wire from the coil to the points. If still no joy your dizzy maybe going to earth.
crazy viva lady

Postby dann01 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:18 pm

So it wasn't the switch then Pete.

Q - Have you changed the solenoid?

I had the same prob a while ago, including your dead instrument problem, and a non starting engine... Luckily, however, the first thing I swapped out was the solenoid. Problem gone. Engine started, instruments came to life.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby hbpeter » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:39 pm

The car is negative earth. Havent tried changing the solenoid yet, will let you know what happens when I do.
Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby hbpeter » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:04 pm

Ok, got a new solenoid and coil. Fitted these. No difference. Still wont start. But I did notice that as well as a dead dash, the indicators, brake lights and heater fan have all packed in as well. All these are fed from fuse No2. So guess what I'm looking at next!! Anybody got a good fuse box? Mine is a bit grotty.
Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby AUTOMAN » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:09 am

sounds like the roter arm to me, It is a fault that most people overlook. start the whole process again with origonal parts, sounds like the new ignition switch is faulty too.

Sometimes even though a car won't start off the key, a start from a tow will usually kick the engine into life and then it will start from the key after that.

Ian

Automan.
AUTOMAN

Postby hbpeter » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:33 pm

Havent changed the ignition switch yet. Theres no spark from the coil so carnt be the rotor arm. No spark, so towing wont get it going either.
Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Next

Return to Electrical help