no red lights.

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

no red lights.

Postby AUTOMAN » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:39 pm

No red lights come on in the dash when I turn the ignition on. The starter turns, but the engine won't fire up.

Also, just replaced an indicator switch, but the indicators don't work. The hazzards work fine.

It is one of the first HCs' from 1971.

Any help or suggestions would be good.

Ian,
AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

no red lights.

Postby Sid » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:02 pm

No red lights come on in the dash when I turn the ignition on. The starter turns, but the engine won't fire up.

Also, just replaced an indicator switch, but the indicators don't work. The hazzards work fine.

Hard to say but the first things I'd be looking for were dead fuses, bad or broken connections in the vacinity of the fuse box, and
at the ignition switch.
Also you need to use a multimeter to establish whether the ignition switch itself is functioning properly in the running position,
as this seems to be a likely suspect.

Sid
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:58 pm

Will the ignition switch off a 1977 1300 gls fit a 1971 car?

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby mazzo » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:45 pm

As far as I am aware, it will. If yours is the non-button type (ie no button to press to release the key) then you will need to get the steering column shroud too.

The wiring might be slightly different on the switch - I know indicator stalks from later Vivas are different to early ones (indicate left and the horn goes off!!) So just check it out with a volt meter before you connect into the wiring loom.

If there's no red lights, the engine won't fire (but turns over) then there would appear to be no ignition on and so the indicators won't work as they require it to be on.

Have you looked at the fusible link. There's one by the battery on the inner wing and I can't remember if this is the one that if it goes, so does everything else. But as your hazzards work, I doubt it is that.

As Sid says, test the switch you have before you go about changing it as I found it a pain to get the old one off.

Good luck
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Thank you both for your help, that's where I will be tomorrow instead of on my way to sunny Kent. If I can make it on Sunday, I will be there. May even be in the HC instead of the HB though.

Ian
Automan.
AUTOMAN

Return to Electrical help