How do I connect the starter

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Postby Sweden » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:38 am

Hi,

Can someone help me to describe how I connect the starter. I have replaced an Opel engine with a standard 1256 in my HC. (So I don't have anything to compere with)

So far I can only hear the cellenoid "klicking" but the starter want turn. (There is only one cable going from the cellenoid to the starter from what I have done so far)

Rgrds
Christer
Sweden
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Sweden » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:03 am

Pictures...

Sweden
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:21 am

Is it me or does this look like you have TWO solenoids?

1/. a remote solenoid as fitted to 90% of all vivas (just at the back of the battery, on the body work)

2/. also a solenoid on top of the starter motor.

I think this is your issue, you may have to change the starter for an older type one that doesnt have an inbuilt solenoid, in order to match up your wiring harness to the engine?

I know this picture is of a scrap car and engine, but the starter can clearly be seen, without a solinoid:

Then again i might not have such good eyes as I had once?
pbottomley

Postby Sweden » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:53 am

Thank's...

You are so right that there is a solenoid on the starter I have. From your description that is most probably my problem...

Remote solenoids is news to me... (But the electrical stuff isn't really my best competence so I really don't have any experience of it)

´My only concern though is that it also was a solenoid on the starter fro the Opel engine... I believe I will need someone with more skills then myself to understand what has been done regarding the wiring...

Thank's
Christer
Sweden
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby MattHC1600SL » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:20 pm

Hi, 2 solenoids is not a problem, the late Chevettes were like that. All you need to do to make this set up work is make a small bridge wire from the spade terminal on the solenoid on the starter to the main battery cable on the starter. This will enable the second solenoid to engage the starter. Matt.
Vauxhall Viva HC 1600 OHC SL TDL 533J
Honey Starmist / Black Vinyl Roof
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MattHC1600SL » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:27 pm

Having had another look at the photos you have a grey wire running to the solenoid on the starter - is this the wire that went to the solenoid on the inner wing? If so, put this wire back on the inner wing solenoid then make up a bridge between the large and small terminals on the starter. It should all work ok then. Matt.
Vauxhall Viva HC 1600 OHC SL TDL 533J
Honey Starmist / Black Vinyl Roof
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Sweden » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:22 pm

Hi,

The main issue was a broken starter, not the connection. Where I live there are only 2 Vivas and no spares to find. I contacted the other owner and he had an old starter just lying in a box (with a selenoid). I did a stand alone test of it and it worked!!!

It took me all day to change the starter (just changing the selenoid didnt
solve anything) as I have a heater in and need to take away the engine
mounting to change the starter.

MattHC1600SL... First I bridged over the sellenoid on the innewing and it
worked, but then I took away the bridge and there where no problems so
obviosly two sellenoids are no issue...

Many thanks for the help.

Now the next step will be to put in a brand new exhaust system, Then it is
time to try to start her up for the first time in 1.5 years!!!

Rgrds
Christer

Pictures of the monster!!! (You can see the blue donour car behind one picture...

Sweden
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help