Is this normal?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Is this normal?

Postby Stu » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:40 pm

Whilst my car is not physically moving (see gearbox thread!), I'm turning it over for 5 minutes or so a couple of times a week.

When fully warmed up (choke right in) and idling, a significant drop in engine noise (revs) is noted when I turn on my headlights! Is this normal behaviour, or is the battery slightly too weak, wiring a bit iffy, or faulty components?

I'm just curious really.... it's not going to cause the car to stall or anything due to the idle speed.
Stu
1971 1159cc Vauxhall Firenza
Stu
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:47 pm

shows the alternator is working!!! if the engine note drops the alternator is charging, if its too slow just adjust the idle speed a tiny amount.
pbottomley

Postby Stu » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:14 pm

Thanks! :)
That displays my limited (though quickly expanding!) knowledge of automotive mechanics.

I've already got the idle set so that with the drop, it's idling as one would expect/hope.
Stu
Stu
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:32 am

I'd suggest you run it for longer, maybe 20 mins or so - you could be doing more harm than good.

I once bought a Viva E Coupe from a guy who'd done the same thing, only to find that the little ends went because it wasn't long enough for the oil to circulate and properly warm through. (Of course, I don't know the whole story of what he did, that's just how he described it. He could have been revving the b***s off it but not wanted to admit it).
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Stu » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:47 pm

Well I haven't actually timed it tbh, but I don't turn it off as soon as the needle reaches 'warm'. I let it run for a bit.

Perhaps the guy had old oil in it which couldn't flow quickly enough to where it was needed? I changed the oil only a few months back, so it should be pretty free flowing.

Hopefully it should only be a week or so 'til the car is out and about properly. That being said, I did used to drive it to work and back, which is only about 5 minutes away... probably shorter than the time I'm idling it now... perhaps I should detour in future and take a scenic route! :D
Stu
Stu
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:47 am

Maybe - he could just have been running it for a minute or two, or rubbish oil, the little ends might even have been on the way out the start with. I don't think it's the same when you're actually driving it, though, because you're running through the rev range more - some engines have very low oil pressure at idle speed.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Electrical help