Dynamo to Alternator conversion

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Postby Paddy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:20 pm

hey everyone

got my nice new 33 amp alternator
got my alternator bracket

now all i need to know is how do i change the wireing from 2 terminals off the dynamo to 3 on the alternator, and also what do i change around the regulator box?

HA super delux, 1966

any help appreciated greatly

cheers
paddy
Paddy
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby MattHC1600SL » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:28 pm

Are you negative earth? Assuming yes, at the control box, cut and join the 2 largest wires together and insulate. Then cut and join the two smaller charge light wires together (marked WL and F) and insulate them. The last wire is an earth, just tape it up out the way. The control box is now bypassed and you can remove it if you want to. Im assuming the alternator is a Lucas ACR type with 2 male spade terminals on the back - 2 large ones and a small one? The thick wire that used to plug into the dynamo can go on either of the large terminals, does not matter which as they are joined inside the alternator. Then the smaller dynamo wire can go on the smaller terminal. Thats it really. Matt.
Vauxhall Viva HC 1600 OHC SL TDL 533J
Honey Starmist / Black Vinyl Roof
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paddy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:33 pm

ahh excellent :), yes im runnin on a negative earth, what about belt tension? should it be the same as if using a dynamo? (1/2 inch play i think)

paddy
Paddy
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby MattHC1600SL » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:34 pm

Yep thats fine.
Vauxhall Viva HC 1600 OHC SL TDL 533J
Honey Starmist / Black Vinyl Roof
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paddy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:06 am

sorry, when you say the 2big wires, which connectors do they go to? is it D and B?

cheers
paddy
Paddy
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lisbon_road » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:21 am

When I did the job back in the 80s, my HB had a separate harness for the dynamo control box. The easiest way was to remove that and then I used the equivalent sub harness off an HC, all much simpler than it sounds.

But the control box on an HA might be wired into the main harness as it was not an option I think.

Jon
lisbon_road
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paddy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:55 pm

Are you negative earth? Assuming yes, at the control box, cut and join the 2 largest wires together and insulate. Then cut and join the two smaller charge light wires together (marked WL and F) and insulate them. The last wire is an earth, just tape it up out the way

joined the two big wires together (brown and brown with yellow stripe)...... ignition light stays on permanently, runs battery flat and only goes out when engine is running

join the two small wires????? i only have one small wire, (brown and green) this runs to the small terminal on the dynamo (now small one on alternator) where does this wire to? i have tried putting large brown and yellow stripe onto small brown and green stripe wire, this makes the ignition light work, but does not charge battery. finally joining all 3 together also does not work, light stays on and does not charge.

HELP! please :(

thanks
paddy
Paddy
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lambaj » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:39 pm

Can you let us know the exact type of alternator please. I'm hoping its the common Lucas ACR type and not a delco one from a chevette or something like that. The Lucas has a fully built in regulator, the delco needs an external regulator........

To wire a Lucas ACR, the two large terminals go to the battery Positive terminal. The small wire needs to have 12V fed to it to energise the alternator. This is provided by the following circuit. Ignition switch engine run position sends +12V to the ignition light (red), then from the second terminal on the bulb to the small terminal on the alternator. This way, when the alternator is not charging, the current flows from the ignition switch, thru the bulb to earth thru the alternator, so making the lamp come on. When the alternator starts to charge, the small terminal becomes the same voltage as the battery, so no current flow thru the bulb and it goes out. Its as simple as that.
FYI, a faulty alternator can often be diagnosed with the lamp, dull glows mean either too many volts, or to few volts so that current flows one way or the other thru the bulb making it glow.

Picture of an ACR here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rebuilt-Lucas-17- ... dZViewItem

Cheers
Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Paddy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:12 pm

my alternator is the lucas type as you described. with the wiring.

alternator has the 3 terminals, the regulaor is built inside (hence the whole reason for converting)

wires running to the back of the alternator include:

small brown wire with green tracer
BIG brown wire AND small brown wire, both with yellow tracers and are joined together.

coming out from where the regulator box would be i have the following:

BIG brown wire (live feed?)
BIG brown wire with yellow tracer
Small brown wire with green tracer
small black earth

I dont really want to have to be adding extra lengths of wire everywhere as from above i should be able to connect the ones i have, just how i am supossed to is still confusing me

paddy
Paddy
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help