Alternator Woes

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Alternator Woes

Postby pyoorkate » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:43 am

Hi,

So in what, March? April? Anyway, there abouts my car got a Halfords Recon Alternator (not my first choice, but I was stranded a couple of hundred miles from home). As of a few days ago it'd started to need a bit of a rev before the Ign light'd go out - but seemed to be charging fine after that. Tonight it's gone for dying completely - well, it's still clearly producing 'some' charge, but not enough (I've not managed to get a voltmeter on it, 'cos I'm working nights (and so my enthusiasm for getting up during the day to work on the car is not high - and anyway it only started doing it on my way in to work)).

Anyhow, it looks like a Lucas LRA100 (I know it's not, but it looks like the same body and ? the same wiring) - in my minor I switched this for the Lucas A106 (more modern, higher output, slightly different pulley alignment but worked with nice big shim :) ) - has anyone done this? Or has anyone got any suggestions for alternators that don't die with hideous regularity?

Cheers!
Kate E
Distressingly becoming the owner of a fleet of vehicles
pyoorkate
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby shamm » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Yes, use the AC Delco ones, much more reliable and bolt straight on.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Electrical help