dynamo

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

dynamo

Postby AccieMad » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:29 pm

Quick question. I've just been trying to start the car after a while of disuse. Charged battery and put the sodding thing on the wrong way...noticed before I turned the key, however as the terminals are different sizes.

Anyway I can't get the thing spinning fast enough to start at the moment duff battery, freezing weather or whatever and can't get a jump as it is front into the garage and the leads aren't long enough.

The question is have I knackered the dynamo by connecting the wrong way around without starting? I can't get back to the car until the weekend but can probably get a head start by sourcing a dynamo or finding a place to get the thing fixed.

Thanks
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lambaj » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi

This is all a bit finger in the wind...... I recon your dynamo will be Ok as it was not under any load. IF you turned the ignition key it might have been possible to re-polarize the dynamo, but I recon the Ign fuse will have gone pop. As the viva is a non-electronic car, then I expect you will find nothing wrong. Even the regulator is only a new coils and contacts.
Simple question. When connecting, did you get a big fat arc off either terminal ? If you did, you might have fried something. If not, then nothing has pulled any serious power and the probability is your OK.

I would get a new battery and start afresh. Just be cautious the 1st time you start it.

Good luck
Tony(Ha21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby AccieMad » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 pm

Ok thanks, I feel a bit better. No arcing or anything of that type not even a spark.

Put the battery back on thought this terminal is really loose started to tighten and put the -ve (?) on and thought that's tight...oh bloody hell...idiot. 15 years of old motors and never done this.

I'll get her started this weekend and see if the dynamo is still charging the battery or if the regulator is stuffed.

Thanks for the help.
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby AccieMad » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:56 pm

You were right, It's absolutely fine.

Turns out the lead to the starter was loose at the starter and all the slow cranking on choke had fouled the plugs.

Tigned the lead, cleaned plugs , charged battery (again) and away. Ignition light straight out. A 30 mile run and no problems.
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help