More problems- windscreen washers

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

More problems- windscreen washers

Postby Rullverine » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:06 pm

My windscreen washer is rubbish! It squirts a very poor stream that reaches just to the very bottom of the windscreen- which failed the MOT, along with a bulb on the dash for the indicator (new one to me that this fails an MOT!) bulb is fine, but its not connecting! Anyway- I see no leaks, and the motor sounds fine to me. Any answers on this? Can you also get universal fitting tubing from anywhere to replace the orginal tubes?
Rullverine
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:36 pm

Carefuly remove the tubing and soak it over night in a bleach... cleans the lines out a treat, also use a safety pin to try and clear out the jest and set the direction.
pbottomley

Postby lambaj » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:02 pm

Electric pumps sometimes have a filter mesh on the input. Depending on what screenwash you use, can get blocked with a jelly like substance - so blocking the pump. Remove the pump and clean out the tank. Also crud in the jet is best removed with a pin like Paul said, and then reverse blasted with compressed air if you have some.

Bulb probably connects to a terminal on the flasher, else you can connect it up to the turn signal wires, but you need to use diodes to stop the power going to the wrong indicators.....

Good luck
Tony(HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Rullverine » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:02 am

Thats great, ive bunged in a few wires, and all seems okay there! Ive also managed to fix the washers, and breaking a pin in the end of a jet- but alls well. Thanks muchly. Check out another post by me- for yet another soul destroying event thats taking place- my starter motor?
Rullverine
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help