Reversing light?

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Reversing light?

Postby sportston » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:35 pm

I want to fit a reversing light on a Viva HC with standard engine and 4 spd box. Is there any possibility of fitting a reverse light switch into the gearbox on this? Or is the box designed without this capability?
thanks
Tom
sportston
SL Viva
SL Viva

Reversing light

Postby classicscrap » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:59 pm

You need to fit a different end cap and switch to the gearlever extension. There was a kit on ebay recently Vauxhall-Viva-Reverse-Lamp-Switch-Kit-NEW-Genuine
but it has ended. You might be able to get a secondhand one or possibly fit a switch to your existing end cap.
Brian[/url]
1971 Vauxhall Viva HC 1159 SL (now 2300)
1972 Volkswagen Beetle 1302S (next project)
1985 Land Rover 110 - Ex SAS
2003 Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Club
2003 Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 CD
classicscrap
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Reversing light?

Postby rob knights » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:03 am

sportston wrote:I want to fit a reversing light on a Viva HC with standard engine and 4 spd box. Is there any possibility of fitting a reverse light switch into the gearbox on this? Or is the box designed without this capability?
thanks
Tom

Check that the cap is the same as I fitted a replacement gearbox to my Viva & the cap was different.
The screws that hold the cap on can be awkward to get to on the top near the tunnel, I found by taking the gear lever gaiter off there is room to get to these.
rob knights
SL Viva
SL Viva

thanks

Postby sportston » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:36 pm

aah thanks for the advice. now I have to find if anyone has an end cap and switch then.
sportston
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby viva power » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:21 pm

i have just purchased some standard reversing lights and all the wires with switch. i was told the switch screws into the gearbox? and if it does not have the switch location on the box then i cant fit it. is this correct?
viva power
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rob knights » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:06 am

viva power wrote:i have just purchased some standard reversing lights and all the wires with switch. i was told the switch screws into the gearbox? and if it does not have the switch location on the box then i cant fit it. is this correct?

No, The switch should be a plunger type with a screw thread on it.
Take the new end cap with the hole and screw thread in it & screw the switch in leaving a 0.20 inch between the switch body & the edge where the switch screws in, tighten the lock nut up & the take the end cap off (4 small bolts) & replace it with the new one with the switch. Put a new gasket on & put the new plate back on, [see my other posting on the subject]
Connect up off the fuse box under the bulkhead position E2 on fuse box to one side of switch, then other side of switch to reverse lamps & if bolting to bumper earth them in the boot.
Hope this helps
rob knights
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby rob knights » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:07 am

viva power wrote:i have just purchased some standard reversing lights and all the wires with switch. i was told the switch screws into the gearbox? and if it does not have the switch location on the box then i cant fit it. is this correct?

No, The switch should be a plunger type with a screw thread on it.
Take the new end cap with the hole and screw thread in it & screw the switch in leaving a 0.20 inch between the switch body & the edge where the switch screws in, tighten the lock nut up & the take the end cap off (4 small bolts) & replace it with the new one with the switch. Put a new gasket on & put the new plate back on, [see my other posting on the subject]
Connect up off the fuse box under the bulkhead position E2 on fuse box to one side of switch, then other side of switch to reverse lamps & if bolting to bumper earth them in the boot.
Hope this helps
rob knights
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby viva power » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:46 pm

that sheds some light in the situation thanks. i will be giving it a go in the next few weeks.
viva power
GT Viva
GT Viva

Reverse light

Postby classicscrap » Thu May 01, 2008 9:11 pm

1971 Vauxhall Viva HC 1159 SL (now 2300)
1972 Volkswagen Beetle 1302S (next project)
1985 Land Rover 110 - Ex SAS
2003 Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Club
2003 Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 CD
classicscrap
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Electrical help