7 dial dash

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

7 dial dash

Postby J.Moore. » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:42 am

I have no idea about electrical matters so would like advice please.
Can the old style dash units on HC models be easily replaced with the 7 dial units or is it really not viable.
Any advice much appreciated.Kevin.
Can't resist those twin headlamps.
J.Moore.
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:00 am

I do remember swapping the twin-dial dash in my 1800 Firenza for a seven-dial unit without too much trouble. You might need to add some wiring if the loom doesn't have them spare, possibly for the rev counter, and you'll need a pipe for the oil pressure gauge. The clock probably won't work so you can save a wire there, and I can't remember whether the main connector is the same for the different dash module types.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby J.Moore. » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:52 pm

Cheers for that.Might look into it further.
J.Moore.
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:35 pm

i just changed the old strip speedo on viva e to 7 dial - mike is correct you will need to extend some of the wire - mainly the warning light ones that now will fit where your ash tray is ! Its quite easy - you will need the new wiring connector for the 7 dial , try and get as much spare wire on it as poss. plus all the bulb holders for the centre warning lights - again with as much spare wire.

First - remove steering wheel then complete old speedo unit - , when the unit is out replug in the old connector (cut the wires as close to conector as poss) - u wont be needing it again . Then - trace the copper elements from each bulb and gauge back to the conector . You will see straight away the "common earth" elements. . Do this for EACH unit (bulb or gauge) - one step at a time. this will lead you back to the connector wires which u should then mark (write what it is on tape and tape to each wire . IE - if its right indicator warning bulb "plus"- then write that. The common earths are usually black and easy to spot. remember to attach the info tape to the wires on the loom (if youve cut the connector away).

Most of those wires are for the warningand illumination lamps (on single and twin dial units) so you will now need to extend them to reach over to the ash tray hole - then attach them to corresponding bulb wires on the new warning lamp cluster - always try each one when youve attached it to ensure it works. Remember to turn the ignition on when testing ! otherwise you will think they dont work - simple but easily forgotten!
For the 7 dial you will need extra wires , the original fuel + and temp + wires are already there , u will need a + from ignition (when ignition is on) to feed volt metre and a constant + feed to the clock - if that works!

Now get the 7 dial and put in the correct 7 dial connector plug - if you havent got one -u can use the old one but u will need to move some of the wires in the connector as they wont be in the right places. Again - trce the copper elements on the printed circuit board from each component back to the connector block then attach the wires to the main ones u cut at the loom - start with the fuel and temp first as these wires are already there, then the dash illumination bulbs

The oil pressure gauge is fed by a tube (no wires) , the rev counter has a 3 pin plug all on its own - similar to a headlight bulb. one of these is earth , one is feed from ignition and the other one goes to the minus terminal on the coil - the earth should be black - the other two , i cant remember - depends on what model it came from

You will also need to move the headlight and poss wiper switch . I used a little twist switch for the lights and fitted it to the steering cover - where the hazard switch should be - as mine is a viva e it didnt have a hazard switch ! Depends where you want to put the switches - you will def need to extend the wires - but remember the light switch and wires are heavier duty !! - keep it that way.

If you 7 dial has an ammeter instead of a volt meter , be careful , ammeters use heavy duty wires -
I hope this helps and dont want to be patronising (I dont know how much knowledge on wiring u have). If u need further assistance just ask . I a spare 7 dial dash and warning cluster and can always "talk u through" any problems.
Cheers - Jon :wink:
"Thats a nice looking Capri you got there mate!"
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby J.Moore. » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:45 pm

Jon.Thanks so much 4 taking the time to explain all that to me.I may be interested in that panel and warning cluster. What colour are they?
Cheers.Kevin.
J.Moore.
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Jon-HPF » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi - they are black , but i dont really want to part with them as i bought them as spares - they do come up from time to time - either on these forums (or check out the other viva forums) - see links to left of screen.
Or on the overpriced Ebay :evil: .
As i explained the conversion is quite easy (even for a novice) as long as you take it step by step - be prepared to have the whole dash out as it makes it easier to work, plus allow a few days of the car being off road. Always use proper connectors like scotch locks or other wiring connector , never wrap wires together and cover with insulating tape- thats a recipe for a nice electrical fire!
What parts have u alraedy got (some pics would be handy)
Chers - JonImage
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:41 am

Jon-HPF wrote:Always use proper connectors like scotch locks

Surely that should say "Always use proper connectors or scotch locks? Virtually all the problems I've had with looms have been where someone has used one of these infernal things in the past.

Forget Scotch Locks, use either proper Ripaults connectors, or at a pinch use decent bullet connectors or spade terminals. Or if you're adding wires, add them on the bulkhead connector. Scotch Locks aren't for permanent installations, unless you've absolutely no choice.

IMO, of course. :) And nice write-up on the conversion, Jon, it's a long while since I've done one.

Edited to tone down a little in case of offence
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Jon-HPF » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Yeah - I know , Im a lazy B****** - scotch locks nice and quick but i dont use then on high amp wires . I find the spades and bullets ok for adding to existing connectors but they dont crimp very well - maybe i should invest in a proper tool rather than those little flimsy crimping pliers!
Got to tackle the engine wiring soon on the sooki conversion - will be scrutinising the viva and suzuki wiring diagrams to find out what should go where. Mainly concerned with the starter and alternator as its a pre engaged on sooki as opposed to inertia on viva plus the sooki only has 2 low feed wires from alternator the viva has 3 - every thing else looks pretty straightforward :? May need some help in wiring up the air con / cruise control/ abs systems though :wink:
Cheers , Jon
Jon-HPF
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:12 pm

Jon-HPF wrote:Yeah - I know , Im a lazy B******

I beg to differ Jon, I dont think your lazy at all. :wink:
pbottomley

Return to Electrical help