Worn HB hinge pins

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Worn HB hinge pins

Postby rizzo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Though i would start a new thread on this as the results have been fantastic, also it might not get picked up on the other thread. I would image this could be done on other Vauxhall models but for now just focused on the HB.
So having considered my options for the worn hinges on my HB i bought a 7.5mm reamer as after measuring the hinge pin and the worn mount decided this would be the best starting size.
I started on the body mounts, lubed up the reamer and slowly worked it through, very easy with only a minimal cut it would appear, it was easy to start off as the reamer has a very slight taper.

Bought this branded quality reamer off line for a little over a tenner.

Not a great deal of room so used a 6mm spanner to turn it.

No problem, the difference with the reamer is you are left with an exact cut to the reamer, ie 7.5mm if you used a drill you would end up with a different size.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Worn HB hinge pins

Postby rizzo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 pm

So as i didnt have any new pins at hand i planned to drop a drill shank in to try it, my 7.5 drill bit actually measures 7.4mm so figured it would be ideal for now, dropped it straight in it had very minimal movement, great.
Moving onto the door.

As the door mounts don't generally have any wear (the pin moves with the door) the cut on the mount was a little more and took a little bit more effort to do.

as its tapered it pretty much self aligns both lined up spot on with the second cut.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Bunsen » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:43 pm

Nice picks risso.I learnt a lot.
Im still trying to get one bugger out
Bunsen
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby rizzo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:45 pm

I had previously drilled and taped the mount to take a 6mm grease nipple, although this can only be fitted with the door open, if left in it will snap off as you shut the door, so when not used a blanking grub screw is fitted.

Well that was easy to be honest, i was a little concerned the cut might go off on a tangent as it might not work, only one way to find out, stick the door back on.

with the door offered up i dropped in the 7.5mm drill bits (7.4mm actually) a little jiggle here and there and they went right through, only just though, the result being no play what so ever in the hinge.

as it turns out the drill bit size it actually spot on, the plan is not to spline the pin but to keep it nicely lubed and let it move how it wants, i want the pins an easy in/out fitment and will get these made up at the eng shop.
There you have it. the door sits exactly where it was prior to doing the work,(apart from the play) im really pleased with the results, probably only took me an hour to do one door, once you have the door off :shock: but thats another story
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:29 pm

A great result. The same technique could be used on an HC door too. It would of course be easier as the whole hinge is attached to the door and then bolted to the shell.

Just a thought, would it be possible to ream it out to 8 mm so that a standard 'roll' type door pin could be fitted?

Maybe that is too much of an experiment to try on a car and door that has to be done correctly.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby rizzo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:11 pm

1972nail wrote:A great result. The same technique could be used on an HC door too. It would of course be easier as the whole hinge is attached to the door and then bolted to the shell.

Just a thought, would it be possible to ream it out to 8 mm so that a standard 'roll' type door pin could be fitted?

Maybe that is too much of an experiment to try on a car and door that has to be done correctly.

Yeh i guess you can take it to 8mm but you might have to do it with a couple of reamers to get there, not sure how much allowance you would have to give the roll pin, a dummy run on some steel would be a good idea to get an idea of best reamer size. never really liked them tbh,
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Bodywork