HC Door seals

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

HC Door seals

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Has anyone tried the HC/Firenza door seals being sold by East Kent Trim :?: http://www.eastkenttrimsupplies.com/doo ... 2x24391001
It looks like they have clips inserted but are not handed or customised like a factory item - are you expected to drill the door edge to match where they have inserted the clips? - and what happens over the top of the door where there aren't any clips required but it clips into a channel?
Interested in any experiences please :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Re: HC Door seals

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:35 pm

It's really hard to tell from the photos, but I can't see the sharp corner that should be present at the top of the window. The clips are correct around the bottom part but as you say, the top should slide into a channel, and the differing profile along the length of the seal is what makes it difficult to make.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi Fred,
I have fitted these to both doors but!! the pins do not line up, they are easily removed. All I did was to use a soldering iron and make holes in the correct position and replace the pins, the odd one will line up but not many. Over the top just remove the pins and slide work into the groove, I used plastic trim tools. I started and finished at the bottom and used a bit of round rubber to join the ends.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:42 pm

All a bit of lateral thinking then :roll: - glad to here someone has trialled it :wink: - the original ends are pegged into the door with some plastic pegs.
Thanks for that Mike A and Mike E - seems the n/s door on Flo will need a new seal - I notice that there are 2 part numbers for the EKT seals for the HC or the Firenza so I assume that they are both the same or maybe the Firenza one is a couple of cm shorter :P
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:00 pm

What the pegs look like, spares from the top and seal fitted.
The ends of mine are also pegged but there was if I remember about an inch either side which because of the reel storage curled out so I used a piece of round rubber slid into the tube ends to hold the ends straight.
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:27 am

Mike, is that a 2-door or 4-door car? Of course the 4-door seals will be shorter. Is the profile around the window the same, or just good enough?

Fred, you're right, the Firenza will be a bit shorter because the back of the window is shorter. In turn that would mean that the pegs might be in the wrong places for some of the spots. In a lot of areas, the seal can be glued - I had to do extensive repairs to the front of one of my doors for the Sportshatch (surprise surprise) and forgot to put the holes in, so that's glued in place.

Nice to see it's available, and at a decent price too. On the down side, my pension fund has taken another battering - the NOS HC door seal that I picked up a couple of years ago and found isn't suitable for a 2-door car has now suffered a massive drop in value.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:06 pm

2 door and the profile was the same, just needed to be worked in gradually. Bit fiddly.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:56 pm

The multi profile seal was fitted up until about '76 and a single profile seal like the EK one from about '76 on. The seals on Bro's Sports Hatch are the later type seals similar to the EK seals. Are your's the early ones Mike? Possibly OSA's seals have been replaced at sometime.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 am

It's a 1972 2 door.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:04 am

Mike Attew wrote:It's a 1972 2 door.

The holes and retaining channels didn't change through the years, just the seal. A later seal can be fitted to any age of door and so can an early seal. That's why the EK seals will fit all HC doors.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Next

Return to Bodywork