HC Sills

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Re: HC Sills

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:31 am

jacko wrote:What is classed as a cover sill ???

Originally a cover sill was as it sounds - intended to be welded over an original sill. Welded properly it would probably bring back enough strength to be as good as the original, but often these weren't welded on as fully as they should have been. Usually (though probably not in the case of Ex-P doing new ones) they were thinner metal. Crucially, as they were designed to fit over the original sill, they're not the same curve, they're a little bit bigger. Same as wheelarches, which have a different curve so they fit around the existing panel. Probably not noticeable.

The top edge is the bit I'd probably struggle with making - the bottom flange and the curved section is no problem. Remember as I said earlier, the sill itself is only the bit below the door - if it's gone further back, that's the bottom of the rear quarter panel and there should be a visible seam between the two. Whether you go to that trouble is your choice - and I'd imagine will depend on whether the seam is visible on the other side. While the sill is off, there should be a closing panel towards the back, closing the inner section of the sill.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jacko » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 am

thanks for all the help lads, keep it coming :D :D :D
jacko
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Kraken » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:56 pm

I’ve got HB and HC “cover sills” in the shed so can compare them if you like?
Won’t be particularly accurate though to be honest because even the 3 “identical” HB ones I have all have different curvatures!

Also if anybody is wanting to borrow any to make some up they are more than welcome.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:36 am

Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:20 pm

I don't they're specifically 4-door sills, just "full length" cover sills. They'd go on a 2-door car, but the seam at the back of the door (where the sill and the bottom of the rear quarter join) would be missing.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Previous

Return to Bodywork