HC Door lock issue

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

HC Door lock issue

Postby Mjones » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:44 pm

I am unable to enter/exit the drivers side door of my 1972 HC Estate. Door button, door key, interior handle etc simply will not activate the lock mechanism.

I intend to tackle this by removing the drivers seat for easier access, gently remove the door card and hopefully be able to pop the lock so to speak.

Or does anyone know of a simple method that can get me out of this predicament? :D
1972 HC Estate The White Knight
1974 HC S74 Arthur Dent
Mjones
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: HC Door lock issue

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:07 pm

Perhaps the door catch has become stuck in the "locked" position, which would mean it would not allow you to open it. That's a bit strange, off the top of my head it would suggest that both the rod from the interior door button, and the one from the handle, have both somehow disconnected from the catch.

I can't think of anything you could do without getting access to the catch mechanism.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:02 pm

Does the lock button on the top of the door seem to operate correctly? Sounds like the mechanism has seized up a bit. You may be able to poke a WD40 spray tube down past the glass on the outside and give it a good soaking.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mjones » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:15 am

Thanks for your replies. The interior lock button has a different feel to it but I will try a bit of WD40. Trouble at the moment is the weather, I need a dry day or two! :D

UPDATE

I was finally able to open the door by using sheer brute force! The culprit was a seized lock mechanism caused by white aerosol grease which had hardened over the years. This was soon removed using a solvent, followed by a generous application of Copper Ease. :D
1972 HC Estate The White Knight
1974 HC S74 Arthur Dent
Mjones
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Bodywork