blisters

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

blisters

Postby Addy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:11 pm

hey all, my hc didnt come to me in good nick but after a summers work she's alot better but have finally come down to the paint. The lower half of the car seems to suffer the most from blistering more so on the rear end.
is it worth sanding it back and driving arround in a primer covered car or as it's finally decided to get sunny should i leave it till enough dough comes into my hands for a respray??

or has anyone tried getting the paint colours remade into a spray can??
Addy
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:57 am

I was told some years ago that you shouldn't drive around in a primer-covered car because primer isn't waterproof - I don't know if modern primers are different.

Most paint suppliers will make aerosols up from paint codes, but it's a very expensive way to buy paint. I believe this is allowed, though, under the new regulations because the quantities are so small. I used to regularly buy Extra Dark Wine aerosols from my local paint suppliers, although this was a colour you could get directly from Holts.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby psl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:02 pm

leave the painting till summer. If you stuff it with p38 and rust killer etc you need to have a damp free few weeks. If and when its dry enough get it to bare metal, treat it then get a near colour match rattle can and spray it on untill you can get it to the body shop.
Putting primer on is no good its porous and in this weather will just be a waste of time.
If you want to do it yourself then dont foget that body panels mainly rust from inside out (unless its just a stone chip) treat the problem to find the cure eg when dry (nice long summer) scrap all the old underseal off from the inner sections and drown the little begger in waxoil, only do this when the old underseal is dry and crispy. then you have a good base to work from and you`ll get no bubbling from the new paint come winter. When doing anything like this drive the car onto a big plaggie sheet so when you`ve finished covering yourself in *Bleep* and waxoil, drive the car off, fold and take down the tip. Happy car, clean drive (in seconds) = happy wife :D
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Addy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:53 pm

cheers for the advice i'll wait till it's a little warmer then i'll carry out the dirty dealings on the underside of my car. thanks for the help.
Addy
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Bodywork