1256 Oil Gauge Wiring / sender

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

1256 Oil Gauge Wiring / sender

Postby rattlyolddt » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:23 pm

I have acquired a trio of worry gauges.

Volts is easy, and i may swap temperature for a rev counter, as I have a temp guage on the dash.

However I am stuck on the oil. - It's an electrical one, not mechanical/plumbed in.

I assume the current oil sender is a switch, for the oil pressure light.

I'd quite like to keep the oil light too, but understand I'll need a sender for a gauge, not a switch.

How have folk got their gauges wired up ?

Cheers

Ed
rattlyolddt
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: 1256 Oil Gauge Wiring / sender

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:41 pm

It would need to be a separate sender, as you said the pressure switch you already have just connects the spade terminal to ground when the pressure drops below a certain figure (often 3-4psi), so isn't any use for a pressure gauge.

On OHC, those cars that have a pressure gauge have a second fitting - the larger fitting screws into the block where the pressure switch did, and the pressure switch then screws into that fitting, thus keeping both indicators. So you could probably do something similar on the OHV engine, if you can find the correct bits. A lot of these senders are standard fitment, though, so it might not be too difficult.

People like Rally Design, Merlin Motorsport, Car Builder Solutions, Demon Tweeks and many more are the kind of place to look for sender units and adapters.

ETA - ignore the throttle cable, the picture shows the standard pressure switch (A) as it piggy-backs on to the oil pressure adapter (B). So you'd probably need something similar, but with two threaded holes rather than the hole for the oil pipe on the top of this one.

droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby rattlyolddt » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Cheers Mike

The sender with space for the original switch would be a neat easy solution.

Do I need to worry about the correct resistance in the oil sender for the guage?
rattlyolddt
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:08 pm

The Mini has dual switch and guage fitting just like the OHC and it will fit an OHV engine. The Mazda MX5 MK2 has an electrical oil pressure guage but it isn't really any use as it only switched to show normal pressure when the light goes out.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:16 am

rattlyolddt wrote:Do I need to worry about the correct resistance in the oil sender for the guage?

I'd imagine they would have to match. I guess they work by variable resistance between zero and something else, so it will be down to determining how a perceived voltage at the gauge of say 6v relates to a specific PSI. But I'm not up on these things, maybe they're all the same. The catalogue I looked in didn't talk about different ratings.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Mechanical