Timing belt replacement.

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Timing belt replacement.

Postby hbr341 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:59 pm

Hi All
Just thinking about the timing belt on my GT I fitted a new one 3 years ago but to date ive only done 3000 miles it still looks fine but i have got some noise from the front of the engine when I increase the rpm I think it may be the tensioner I dont think they are available ? Also does anyone know if the 2300cc engine it was from a late magnum is an interference type. Thanks

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Timing belt replacement.

Postby droopsnoot » Thu May 06, 2021 8:57 am

I've always considered that the engine is not an interference type. I have read that under very high revs, with an uprated engine, or perhaps if the head and/or block has been skimmed, there was a slight chance of things meeting, but not in normal use. I keep a spare belt in the boot for just that situation.

Plenty of Gates belts available on eBay, as far as I know all the slant four single cam engines use the same belt. For example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114681258325 ... xy43FRbEq1

Oh, just thought that your "not available" might be about the tensioner rather than the belt. I think there was some talk that a German supplier for CF / Opel Blitz parts was doing a new tensioner, and maybe Stuart at Magardsport was having something done with replacement bearings.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbr341 » Thu May 06, 2021 6:14 pm

Hi Mike
Thanks for your reply yes it was the tensioner that I was referring to I will try to get one Thanks,

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun May 09, 2021 8:12 pm

I have noticed on one or two of the slant 4 engines I have had if you put too much tension on the timing belt belt you can get what sounds like bearing noise on the tensioner - if you are experiencing this - usually at 1000 to 1500 rpm - try slackening the belt off a bit.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby hbr341 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:27 pm

Hi Fred
Thanks I will check that not sure where the noise is coming from just know its in that area will do some investigation.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical