speaking of seatbelts

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

speaking of seatbelts

Postby jpsmit » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:24 am

You will know that others are helping me with things like seatbelt bolts etc. Today I went rummaging through the seatbelt box and to me great delight (not) discovered three different types of seatbelt. Any one have any idea which is which.

also I don't seem to have a complete set of any - so any leads as to where they are available? Or would generic GM belts work.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: speaking of seatbelts

Postby Bob perry » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:15 pm

Not sure what the testing laws are like over there, but over her, as long as they are anchored securely, belts are not frayed or damaged, and buckles lock together securely and are not damaged, plus working properly when activated when pulled sharply, if non static, any generic type of seat belt is acceptable.

I've even got two different manufacturers on the left and right of my car, but testing centre has never picked up on that, and it passes ok.

The original, factory fit, belts were lock over and pull, aircraft style belts, but they always left belts flapping about when not in use and were a right faff. So I converted to inertia reel ones which recoil back, so much better.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:07 pm

I was toying with the idea of fitting something from Heartbeat City because I’d like some GM logos on my belts.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:55 pm

there seem to be lots of choices - I am reliably told that the aircraft style - the middle one is the correct one for the car. I can get a set quite reasonably but sadly they aren't engraved. The fellow I was talking to (who was the seller) strongly discouraged me from using the three point option as they don't seem to be as reliable.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:40 pm

jpsmit wrote:there seem to be lots of choices - I am reliably told that the aircraft style - the middle one is the correct one for the car. I can get a set quite reasonably but sadly they aren't engraved. The fellow I was talking to (who was the seller) strongly discouraged me from using the three point option as they don't seem to be as reliable.

The Heartbeat CIty belts in Viva Las Vegas' link look great.

The chrome aircraft type (the middle one in your picture J.P) is correct for HB Viva. The lower one is the later static type as used on early HC (Canadian Firenza) and other early 70s GM cars. No idea what the top one is.

I'm not sure of the introduction date for the later type (lower in your picture). It could have been 1970 and have appeared on some very late HB cars(?) They were certainly in use on the HC by 1971. Oddly, my very early Firenza has one of each type fitted too - but that's an 'oddball' 1970 pre-production car.

I'm not sure why the seller of the aftermarket belts would say the 3 point belts aren't reliable? Does he mean just that specific manufacturer? 3 point belts were original equipment on all Vauxhalls of this vintage, and have been on everything since. I think they had become a legal requirement in the UK by 1971 - although their use in the UK wasn't compulsory until 1983. Things will no doubt have been different in Canada.

I have a set of aftermarket replicas in my GT. I obviously haven't tested them properly and hopefully never will(!) but have now sourced a set of 1960s grey webbing engraved buckle Vauxhall belts. So I'm going to fit them on my early GT - although I think the GT belt webbing will originally have been black. Here are my aftermarket ones -

*Note - aircraft style belts are only legal for UK use on pre-1971 vehicles.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:21 pm

that looks good. In terms of your question, he seemed to be referring to the manufacturer. He mentioned having to process returns. I think I will just go with the aircraft style non-engraved and keep my eyes open for the proper ones.

I am not aware that there are specific Canadian regs about style of belt pre/post '71 (or really any other year for that matter) I do know that generally the standards for getting a car safety checked (our MOT, done only when the car changes hands) is the standard of the time of manufacture and not today. Also without being stupid (I have a vested interest in a safe car) I am also aware that the person doing the safety check will likely never have seen a Vauxhall and wouldn't have the first clue what type of seatbelt it already had.

:D

thanks for posting!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby caribougone » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:16 am

I was looking through the 1970 Canadian owners manual PDF on this forum for something else and noticed on pages 33 and 34 it clearly shows the GM-button style of seatbelt. (the bottom one in your picture) This confirms what Colin said about that kind starting around 1970. All 5 belts in my 1969 Epic are the 'aircraft' style (middle in your picture) so mine are before the change.
caribougone
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:07 pm

Good to know - thanks!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to Mechanical