1256 head gasket

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

1256 head gasket

Postby hbr341 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:38 pm

Hi
Anybody got any idea weather or not to use any gasket sealant on the push rod side of the 1256 as some manuals say I have never done so but have noticed a lot of steam coming out of the exhaust on mine and water dripping from it a lot more than just condensation even though its got a new gasket Iam going to take the head off and check it out.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: 1256 head gasket

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:18 am

As you know Chris I have no experience with the OHV engine, but the Vauxhall engine manual TS1020/1 says "When installing cylinder head apply a 1 to 2mm bead of Hylomar PL32/M jointing compound along the push rod rail on the cylinder block face as shown, and similarly along the upper face of the cylinder head gasket".

If I get a minute I'll scan the image but it basically shows a bead of sealant from the front head bolt on the right, along the outside edge, and to the back head bolt to the right.

That said, I've never put jointing compound on my OHC head gaskets, even though some manuals (including the Sportpart one) say I should have.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Re: 1256 head gasket

Postby hbr341 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:08 pm

Hi Mike
I have seen that in the manual I have ordered some wellseal so I will do that Thanks

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical