Boiling over

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: Boiling over

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:50 pm

Sorry for the late reply Bob, I forget to take note of the antifreeze when I'm at the garage, It's made by Granville, not sure if it's a quality brand or not but it was all they had at the shop, Bluecol is a known good brand if you can get it
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:25 pm

All back together now & it seems to be ok, took it for a run then left it ticking over for a good 20 minutes or so while I set these up
, it never seemed to run well on the original single Stromberg even after fitting a nos carb so I reckon the inlet manifold must have gone porous which I believe is a common problem. This was an e-bay bargain about 10 years back, £35 or thereabouts. it had been poorly described & there was no picture so as it was fairly local, I took a punt on it, anyway it runs a lot better with these on as well as looking great. :D
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 pm

http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/

Not cheap but works. At work we've had a number of early Lotus Esprits restored and this has been used to help address the over-heating issues. I also saw it on an ep of Wheeler Dealers, think it was the Triumph Stag a car famous for over-heating.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Johnboy HB wrote: it never seemed to run well on the original single Stromberg even after fitting a nos carb so I reckon the inlet manifold must have gone porous which I believe is a common problem.

Yes , although I wouldn't describe it as common, it certainly happens and causes a very weak mixture and rough running. A weak mixture can cause over heating, so maybe you've solved the complete problem in one swoop :)
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby cooperman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:47 pm

Well done John, you can get out and enjoy it now
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to Mechanical