Seven dial dash repair

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Seven dial dash repair

Postby pickled_foot Backup » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:25 pm

hi,
i have a 1978 1256cc viva gls with the seven dial dash fitted. these days however the dials don't really give me much of an indication about the cars actual speed/revs/time etc.

the speedo swings wildly from 0 - 120mph (a speed which i'm sure i could only do if i was falling from a plane) it settles down sometimes but still sways when keeping as constant a speed as i can manage.

the clock and other gauges i can live without but if anyone has advice on how to fix the speedo i would be greatly appreciative.

i know you can send it off to get it repaired but can't really live without the car for that amount of time due to work.
pickled_foot Backup

Postby Freddy Backup » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:25 pm

Is the speedo cable OK?
Freddy Backup

Postby paulbottomley37 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:26 pm

I would just change the cable and or lubricate it first before you do anything drastic...
paulbottomley37

Postby pickled_foot Backup » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:26 pm

ok, will do. i'll be back if there's no improvement.
thanks
pickled_foot Backup

Postby Tinkerman backup » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:26 pm

Firstly get your hand up and remove the speedo drive adaptor and give it a check, these are the things that wear as there is a plastic corkscrew drive. When putting it back together make sure all is tight. Another thing is the square end on the speedo drive might be worn.
Tinkerman backup

Postby pickled_foot Backup » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:27 pm

think your right, checked cable and it looks ok. the right angle drive end looks a bit worn though. any ideas if i can get a new one anywhere?
pickled_foot Backup

Postby Tinkerman backup » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:27 pm

No new ones available. You could try Adrian at the Viva owners club, failing that you may have to buy a secondhand clock set with the speedo drive still on it as i`ve only ever seen one on ebay before now.
Tinkerman backup

Postby pickled_foot » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:32 pm

ok update.
sent speedo for calibration and repair. calibrated fine but milecounter gear was worn and causing a jam. result is i have a working speedo but no mile counter, which sucks because i am only at 53,000 miles and now it will be inaccurate.
also changed cable which did take out most of the distortion
pickled_foot

Return to Mechanical