What's JP got now?

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: What's JP got now?

Postby jpsmit » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:08 am

Kind of embarrassed by tonight's question, but the sway bar is upside down isn't it?

Finding other upside down things too. doh! :oops:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby lord13 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:52 am

the bushes in the previous pic are indeed rear damper mounting bushes, the top ones in the pic with the tube are the lower bushes that sit in the damper 'ring' and the other ones with the washers sit on the rod that goes through the bodywork, they effectively 'sandwich' the mounting between them ( washer - bush - body mounting- bush- washer )

incidentally, the lower bushes need a washer also.

As for the anti-roll bar... looking at it fitted in the pic.... i don't have a clue lol I removed mine when i had one, it made it too stiff ( but i had super hard poly bushes, stiff adj dampers and alloy subframe mounts, the roll bar just made it too stiff and skittish ). I think the bar kind of angles down at the ends so have a close look at it from the side and see if yours angles up or down when fitted. Or check clearance with the sump because i believe it runs very close and looking at your pic you have the cross piece bending up rather than down, if you mounted it the other way the center part of the bar would be about an inch lower.

Also, you are building a GT right? It looks like you have a standard OHC crossmember, the GT ones are different i.e. the o/s mount ( your passenger side as you have a LHD vehicle judging by where your steering coupling is ) is flat topped to take the different alloy GT engine mount. Check to see what engine mounts you have, if you have standard OHC ones all is well.

Someone please correct me if i am wrong on this, I don't know if export GT's had alloy or standard engine mounts, I just know my GT had the alloy mounts .
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:18 pm

Yep, upside down. That's an alloy sump arb? Am I correct? The Magnum one is straight so even easier to make the mistake.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jpsmit » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:35 am

Thanks for the answers (plus the bonus rear shock info!) The crossmember is correct (please Lord let it be correct!) The GT's switched engine mounts between the Mk I and the Mk II (mine)

And thanks too for confirming the sway bar - don't think it is alloy - it hefts like steel but, I painted it stainless. :)
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:21 am

I think that by the time of manufacturer of J.P's Canadian Mk II GT the alloy sump and engine mounts of the Mk I cars was supposed to have been superseded by the later, HC OHC style, shear type engine mounts and winged steel sump, but as with all things Viva GT - any transition from one type of part to another seems to have been a fairly haphazard and casual affair - so who knows?

It's looking good, J.P! Is it still minus 21 centigrade out there? :D
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:43 am

Warming up slowly - thanks for asking! Saturday was 14 deg C. Saw two motorcycles and a guy with his convertible top down. Today about -1 and this week about the same - not ideal but miles better than last year when it was in the minus double digits for pretty much all of January & February - no snow - we have had a very mild winter. hurray!

Handily, the garage has an apartment over it and shares a wall with the house so, while cold is not terrible. with a small heater or two am usually OK.

cheers
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:16 am

jpsmit wrote:And thanks too for confirming the sway bar - don't think it is alloy - it hefts like steel but, I painted it stainless. :)

It will be steel, or cast iron, or whatever they usually are. I think by "alloy sump arb" David meant an arb for an engine with an alloy sump. None of mine (for HC) have that "dimple" between the centre mountings that yours has.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Oh, OK - all this "unique" terminology. :P I wouldn't be surprised if, before long you adopted strange names for common things - like calling a hood a bonnet or a trunk a boot - weird eh?! :roll: :)

Seriously thanks again all for your help (and your education) I appreciate it more than you can know. My real regret is being an ocean away without the opportunity to hoist a beverage together or chat at Billing.

cheers!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:05 am

Well lads, time to revive this thread. Hopefully not too many more times - I seriously am slowing running out of parts to hang on this thing! But, running out is not the same as run out.

So, to start:

ImageUntitled by John-Peter Smit, on Flickr
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 am

and, next

ImageUntitled by John-Peter Smit, on Flickr
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha