Tonight's questions - what goes here?

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: Tonight's questions - what goes here?

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:36 am

Usually the ball on the end of the cable goes through a clevis, and the clevis pin holds that to the top of the clutch pedal. Again, I'm not sure if HB is different in that regard.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:20 pm

droopsnoot wrote:Usually the ball on the end of the cable goes through a clevis, and the clevis pin holds that to the top of the clutch pedal. Again, I'm not sure if HB is different in that regard.

Thanks Mike - visualizing it more easily now - will report back.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:35 am

First of all a massive thanks to Mike! a little rummaging and the piece appeared. It is a U shaped bracket - with the clevis holding it to the clutch. Of course then I went through my parts boxes (OK actually boxes of bags of parts) only to find two more, plus the clevis, plus the clip to hold the clevis and even the bushings to hold the clevis in the pedal. The best part of that was that the bag was labelled in my handwriting so clearly I put it there though I have no memory or how or why.

Also, I started sorting cables and found the (three) clutch cables. Curiously, 2 are about 6 feet long and one is closer to 4 feet. I suspect that the 4 foot one is for a RHD car. All of this led me to re-attach the bell housing to the gearbox. Looking at it I realize that the cable attaches to the clutch release lever can only come through one side of the transmission. In other words when they moved to LHD, they kept the cable coming on the Right Hand side of the transmission. Hence the need for a longer cable.

What I find fascinating though is that if you look at the bellhousing in the picture, you see that at 'A' there is a hole for the pivot on the other side of the transmission, likewise a hole for the lever to exit. On the other hand the hole for the clutch cable to attach to is only on one side of the bell housing - and not the other. Curious isn't it that the bell housing is completely interchangeable except for that one. I suppose I could make a bracket, but...

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby caribougone » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:33 am

My gearbox has a hole for the clutch cable on both sides and I'm pretty sure I could have put the cable on either side of the gearbox. But while also LHD like yours, mine's a plain 1159 and you've got a GT. You're probably right that your 6 foot cables are for your cable to get to the far side of the gearbox. It's great that you've got two - if they're only needed for LHD GTs they're probably quite rare! I would guess my cable looks about 4 feet long so your one shorter cable might have come from a Canadian base model like mine that has the cable on the left side of the gearbox.
Attachments
caribougone
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:05 pm

That is a very helpful picture - thanks.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:27 pm

Two pictures today. One is the solution to the above mentioned mystery.

I was sorting parts today and thought I should investigate how the plate on the front of the bellhousing fits - it fits quite easy as a matter of fact, but, oh look! is that a hole for a clutch cable on the other side of the bellhousing? why yes it is. So, now the transmission is fully ambidextrous and I can use whichever cable is easier. The only question is whether or not the pivot pin (with the ball on the end) is a friction fit since there don't seem to be threads in the opposite hole.

Oh and, makes sense that they would add it to a cheaper plate than an expensive casting. (though why they didn't make it in the first place I don't know)

The second pic is a plate that I know goes above the rear axle and is one of two bolted to the floorboards - under the rear seat. My question is twofold.

1. Why? Why is it there and what does it do? All I can think is that it is there to stiffen something but they sure are big bolts. and,

2. Does a plate go in the interior for the bolts or just a washer?

thanks all as always!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:22 am

On the first photo, that clutch cover plate isn't strong enough to do the job of holding the cable outer while you use the clutch. It'll bend very quickly if there's no casting behind it.

No idea on the plate, it's not like HC. Maybe something to do with seat belts, if it's a hefty plate? ETA - or maybe a rear anti-roll bar mount of some sort, as it's got that shape along the centre? Although it doesn't look as if there's room for a bush in there, so perhaps not - just that there being two above the rear axle made me wonder.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:23 pm

droopsnoot wrote:On the first photo, that clutch cover plate isn't strong enough to do the job of holding the cable outer while you use the clutch. It'll bend very quickly if there's no casting behind it.

No idea on the plate, it's not like HC. Maybe something to do with seat belts, if it's a hefty plate? ETA - or maybe a rear anti-roll bar mount of some sort, as it's got that shape along the centre? Although it doesn't look as if there's room for a bush in there, so perhaps not - just that there being two above the rear axle made me wonder.

Pretty much my thoughts as well - but, seat belts - hadn't thought of those - that could actually make a lot of sense. will look further.

cheers
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby caribougone » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:21 am

There was a bent metal coathanger wrapped around the muffler and tied up using the channel in one of those plates on my car.

Seatbelt anchors is my best guess for them too. Sorry, no picture this time but I did manage to get my hand behind the seat and felt the bolts for the seat belts and they seem to be in the right spot. The centre passenger's belt uses the two outer bolts, the side passenger's belts using the inner bolts, so that the seat belts cross each other as they emerge from the seats.
caribougone
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby jpsmit » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:17 am

In the garage tonight and going through more cables. Everything is present and accounted for with two exceptions.

this cable is about 3 feet long (91 cm) it has the same end on each end - and is insulated.

any ideas?

the next cable is about 21 inches long (53 cm) It isn't insulated and has different ends. If I had to guess it might <might> be the sort of cable that gets attached to an engine to keep it from moving in the case of an accident.

In this one especially if you also know where it goes that would be great also.

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical