Tonight's questions - what goes here?

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Tonight's questions - what goes here?

Postby jpsmit » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:09 am

Was reinstalling the oil pickup tonight and noticed another hole - I don't recall anything going there, but, just want to make sure - any ideas?

and then was looking at this - have a little bag of parts but of course didn't record what goes where - again, any ideas?

thanks all, once again I couldn't do this without your help!

cheers
JP
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Tonight's questions - what goes here?

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:35 pm

I can only say that the top photo is very similar to the photo in the Haynes manual which also shows two main bearing caps having a screw thread, but only one being used. I'll have a look at my spare engine tomorrow, that's got no sump on and might give some idea. If the caps have the correct numbers on it would seem to be correct unless someone else says differently. Equally I can't remember what the fuel pump area on my block looks like.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:55 pm

These blocks were used with numerous different sumps so the spare bolt hole could be for as different pickup pipe.

As for the fuel pump area, would it have been a mounting point for the diesel fuel pump on the diesel variant or PAS pump on Victors?
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jpsmit » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:32 am

Time to re-start another thread. Elsewhere you will see that I have begun to work again on the GT.

This is a different 'what goes here?' In this case, as I was installing the servos, I noticed three holes in the sheet metal - does anyone know what goes there?

they are marked below.

thanks

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby thomas » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:11 pm

jpsmit wrote:
I noticed three holes in the sheet metal - does anyone know what goes there?

On my right-hand drive HB, the screenwash reservoir bottle/bag hangs there from a pair of hooks, attached more or less where the top two holes are in the photo.

Canadian cars I'd guess early had an electric pump and a different screenwash bottle, and it would probably have been mounted elsewhere.

Those holes then might be redundant.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Bob perry » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:39 pm

Yes, I'm sure you are right Nail.
If that hole is threaded and, if I recall correctly, my HA 1057 block had an oil pick up that finished further back than that picture and had a steady bar bolted on to a main cap.
Just to be sure though I would push a small piece of welding wire down it to see how far it goes before it bottoms out.
If it does then no worry. I don't think there is anything else that would bolt on to it.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:10 am

thanks for these replies - I don't believe that the holes are threaded - or if they are it is a sheet metal screw - I am pretty sure (will confirm) that it is just through the metal.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:59 am

jpsmit wrote:I don't believe that the holes are threaded - or if they are it is a sheet metal screw - I am pretty sure (will confirm) that it is just through the metal.

I think Bob is talking about your earlier photo of the side of the block, or the photo of the main bearing caps.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby caribougone » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:43 pm

Regarding the three holes in the engine bay, my Canadian car has a washer fluid bag hanging from hooks in the top two holes. The hood latch release cable passes right by there - I suspect the bottom hole is for a clip to hold the cable to the body under the bag, so it won't potentially shake the bag off its hooks when you pop the hood.

- Ben
caribougone
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby jpsmit » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:53 am

Tonight's question is almost a 'what doesn't go here?' I was in the garage tonight and even though I am nearly finished the brake lines, I needed to do some research before I could position and cut the piece that goes under the car from back to front.

Sooo decided to think about things electrical; specifically washer motor and heater motor. I am very excited to report that I found I still had a two speed wiper (I was actually fairly certain that I had foolishly sold my only 2 speed set before I realized that not all the motors I had were 2 speed) phew!

I managed to figure out where things went and at least placed the heater motor in place - but, am I correct that the grate between the front windshield and the bonnet is always open to the elements? how does that work in terms of heat versus constant fresh air?

Am I missing something?
thanks all!

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Next

Return to Mechanical