HB Rack

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

HB Rack

Postby TGL » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Just starting to look at the front clip (1969 HB), it looks like a previous owner has modified the track rod ends to an M10 thread, I have cleaned up the threads and fitted Nylocs but wondered if anyone knows where I can get a refurbished Rack please? I am presuming that the original wasn't an M10 thread

Goodness knows what track rod ends the ones that are on there are from!!!
TGL
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: HB Rack

Postby StefanM » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Are you shure? I can not imagine any car that has M10 thread on such items and the Viva ends is the same as Mini so shurely they can not been stuck obtaining parts earlier.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:56 pm

Sure its not a UNF thread?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby TGL » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Sorry, i meant about the track rod ends were re-tapped M10 (where it enters the steering arm) but do I need a new rack as there is a bit of play.
TGL
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby TGL » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:36 pm

What started as a seemingly easy job to swap out the rack for a new one ended up with the engine having to come out (its a 2.0 pinto) as the sump was too close to get it out, and nearly a trip to A&E with a massive gash to the head from the lovely new metal number plate that now bent. Does anyone know the thread size please of the lock nut on the steering rack (that stops the track rod end from unscrewing itself)

Also got to replace the 3 special bolts that hold it on as the shafts have eroded quite considerably. So a seemingly easy job resulted in being a pain in the back side.
TGL
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lord13 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:24 am

I think more information is needed on what your set up is, if the TRE's were re-tapped to metric, then is it actually a viva rack? If the track rods themselves are metric then what are they from? Seems a lot of trouble to go to to modify a rack to take new TRE's when the viva TRE's themselves are easy to get hold of. Are the stub axles still viva? If so, why would someone go to the effort of fitting new track rods with metric thread, then re-tapping the ends to fit? I'm also confused as to why the pinto had to come out to remove the rack, does it have a 'front bowl' sump? More info needed :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Mechanical