HC 1800 twin carb throttle cable

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

HC 1800 twin carb throttle cable

Postby 1900sr » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:37 pm

I recently realised the throttle pedal on my HC 1800 auto estate was fitted too high, it was only held on with two bolts that were fitted in the bottom holes in the pedal assembly, but bolted into the upper two holes in the floor pan. This meant the pedal was a couple of inches higher in the car than it should've been. When I looked at putting it right I realised that it had been done because the throttle cable wasn't long enough. Ah thinks I, I've seen a listing on ebay for a long throttle cable for HC with twin CD175s, that's what I need, when the car was converted they must have used the original shorter cable. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-HPF- ... SwmrlUs~ZS

The cable arrived today, and I took the old one off, fitted the new, and it's still not long enough. Well that's not strictly true, it seems to be the same length of the old one, and it's possibly more a case of the threaded section isn't in the right place as if i could fasten it where it is in this pic it'd work lovely.

Sorry for the long post, but has anyone any ideas?
1900sr
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: HC 1800 twin carb throttle cable

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:45 pm

Your installation seems to have the cable approaching from the top. The standard twin carb installation has the cable bracket below the carbs.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 1900sr » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:04 pm

Ah, you're right the cable does come in from the top. That bracket is screwed to the side of the carb, so I'm guessing from what you're saying I've got the wrong mounting bracket?
1900sr
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:23 pm

I would say yes. I don't have a photo of mine and it's tucked away below the air filter so impossible to get a camera near.

Looks like that bracket has been home made so maybe you could modify it to work.

Just remembered that all OHC Stromberg carb throttle cables come in from below, single and twin carbs.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1900sr » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:39 pm

I've had a look today, took the airfilters off. I think it is going to have to come in the way it is, as if it comes in from the bottom it'll struggle to actuate the throttle. The mount certainly looks homemade, so maybe I'll have to get one made up that will hold the cable in the right place. Maybe I should've just left well alone.
1900sr
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:46 pm

Looks simple enough to modify what you have, just chop the fork bit off with a bit of the leg attached and either bolt or weld it a bit further down.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Mechanical