Bad Vibrations

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Bad Vibrations

Postby spaceman41 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:15 pm

The Anti Beach boys have hit my Viva with Bad Vibrations !!.What could be causing this please? .I'm guessing at wheel balancing first then possible problems from Propshaft maybe?.Could worn engine mounts/Gearbox mounts contribute?.I do want to replace them as I get a kind of clucking noise at back when accelerating or taking foot off gas too.Car is coming off road do some much needed maintenance work so back to the boring but comfortable Monde for a few weeks !Any info or advice appreciated. Best regards Spaceman
spaceman41
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Bad Vibrations

Postby spaceman41 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:16 pm

Are engine mounts a straight forward Jack up and undo one side replace then the other side? Best regards Spaceman
spaceman41
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:53 pm

Think its about time you bought a manual :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby cooperman » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:02 pm

As Fred suggests, a manual is a must.
Clonking on accel / decel could be loose wheel nuts or worn propshaft u/j's.
As you say check wheel balancing and then prop balancing for vibration, I'm sure there are other things but its a good starting point
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:26 pm

Really need more information, eg propshaft problems tend to show at certain speeds, similar with wheel balance or a bad tyre, but the speeds vary so might be best to say when it happens.

Clunk in the drivetrain could be the uj or any part of the rear suspension. I had a clunk going from forward gears into reverse and it was one of the bolts on a suspension arm. Get it on ramps and make sure everything is tight. Noises can travel through a bodyshell so be prepared to find it isn't as obvious to track as it sounds.

Engine mounts will usually show by giving the engine a good shaking. Get a mate to help whilst you feel around the mounts. Just keep your fingers out of anything that is going to trap them.

Good luck
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:11 am

How old are your tires? a belt could also have let go
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby spaceman41 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:08 am

Cheers guys I will try and note the speeds it occurs at and get it up on the ramps and have a nosey.Tyres are all good and fairly new with lots of tread.I will start by getting them all balanced and work from there :).Happy motoring,Spaceman
spaceman41
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Mechanical