Can anyone reccommend a decent Electronic ignition

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Re: Can anyone reccommend a decent Electronic ignition

Postby 1972nail » Sun May 07, 2017 3:03 pm

The two currently available and simple ones are made by PowerSpark and Accuspark, about £40 each. Both look and perform the same AFIK but the D300 distributor in the Slant 4 needs to be fully dismantled to fit them. I believe that Luminition kits are still available but very much more expensive than the above ones.

If you can find one, the full Lucas electronic distributor from a late CF van is the preferred route for competition engines. These usually command anything up to £200 for a box of bits to assemble and design the wiring yourself....not for the faint hearted!

Don't forget that the HC range has a resistance wire in the ignition circuit which doesn't like eletronic ignition systems and needs to be bypassed for safety and reliability reasons. You'll also need to fit a non-ballast type coil to complete the package.

See my thread below. :goodideasign:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22328
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby ADRIAN » Sun May 07, 2017 10:33 pm

The very BEST electronic ignition to have is Luminition, These have a seperate Power pack, and then a "kit" to fit to your distributor. Has a "Magic eye" system with a rotating chopper that interrupts the eye signal. Expensive at around £250 or more, but the very best - never known one to ever fail ! Everyone I know with OHC engines use Luminition. Other types such as Powerspark/ Accuspark are rotating magnet types. Fine for use on little OHV Vivas, but I once had one of these explode apart, because of excess heat, all because the coil failed and gave the pack too much amps, which the Luminition pack would never do.
ADRIAN
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 pm

Known a lumenition fail before on a 3.0 Capri , not sure why as I let him ( borrow) have a set of points & a condenser to get him home
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby mactat2 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:14 pm

I've been using an Accuspark unit for the last 3 years, used every day and had no problems with it :D
mactat2
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Since my last post on this thread I've fitted a complete Bosch system from a Bedford CF to my 2300. The maximum advance is a little too much for the 2300 high compression engine and it wouldn't rev out much more than 4750rpm on the standard 9deg BTDC. I retarded it to about 6deg BTDC and it was perfect but a little lumpy on tick over. The CF max advance is around 40deg or so and the 2300 high compression is 36deg.

The 1800 has the smallest advance of all the OHC engines with a maximum of 31deg, the same as the 2300 HPF, so the standard Bosch setup would not be a great conversion without the advance curve being altered to suit. Having said that if you can find one and get the advance altered to suit it will be the best conversion of all.

Here's a photo of the complete kit, base plate, distributor, coil, amplifier on the heat sink plate and wiring loom.

Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Mechanical