Viva HB braking problem.

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Viva HB braking problem.

Postby VivaPete » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:55 am

Viva HB braking problem. I have excellent brakes when reversing but forwards they are about half as good resulting in a much slower stop. I've recently renewed all pads front and rear (front discs and rear drums) also a new master cylinder seals. I've driven a few miles to bed it all in but still no improvement. Car doesn't pull to one side either. Any advice on what to do next?Thanks.
4 Door HB
VivaPete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Viva HB braking problem.

Postby rizzo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Brakes can take a while to bed in, but if you think there is still an issue heres a list of checks if not already done.
Are front caliper pistons free? rear cylinder pistons free, sliders free, brake shoes fitted the correct way round, rear adjustment ok, no air in system, no play in wheel bearings, servo working (if fitted), and flexys for fluid restriction, ie imploding.
My guess is i could just be air in the system if you have renewed the master cyl seals (assume all good there) give it a good flush through, brake fluid is supposed to be renewed every 2-3 years so can only benefit from another bleed.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 pm

I would look at the master cylinder and check that you have all the seals the right way round
Attachments
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:08 pm

As Fred says, check the seals are the right way round. But first look at the rear brakes and make sure that you have assembled everything correctly. The design includes 'leading' and 'trailing' shoes that work well going forward but are less efficient in reverse. You may have assembled them the wrong way round. A similar mistake can be made on Morris Minor rear brakes.....I've done it!
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Mechanical