Viva hc lockheed master cylinder

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Viva hc lockheed master cylinder

Postby jimbo123 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi this is Jim long time since i wrote on here just pulled tarpaulin off front of car today lifted bonnet,the lockheed master cylinder and servo looks like it requires a overhaul or new one.Can fit a repair kit in master cylinder on ebay for £15 inc postage SSB905 but can't find any servo's anywhere does any one know if there's any other servo's from any other vehicle can be fitted.Its a 1973 Vauxhall Viva HC 1256 auto with lockheed Master Cylinder and front disc brakes reg no SXE 579L thanks for looking.By the way on my previous posts i got the registration no wrong thaks again Jim.
jimbo123
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Viva hc lockheed master cylinder

Postby Fred Dukes » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:59 pm

Are you sure you need a replacement servo or are you just trying to replace items cos they have been stood a long time?
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:32 pm

As Fred says, the servo will probably be serviceable but not look great. Best to try it and see.

Triumph TR7 4 speed servos are very similar and would probably fit the bill OK. The vacuum pipe location may be on the opposite side of the master cylinder, I'm not sure. Just check that the overall diameter is the same and the cylinder mounting bolts are horizontal like the Viva.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jimbo123 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Thanks for you're replies the car not in running order yet the servo in all honesty just looks a mess would probably clean up and re-paint will post some pictures of the car tomorrow hopefully.Will buy a repair kit for the master cylinder make my own brake pipes up anyway the engine bay doesn't look too bad just need to have a really good look underneath the car and check the state i know it needs some welding looking forward to getting started.Thanks again for you're thoughts.
jimbo123
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:50 am

Be careful with the brake pipes. The majority of the fittings are UNF but there are some master cylinders from about 1973 that have M10 fittings. If the master cylinder is M10 the rest of the car will still be UNF. Unfortunately UNF male fittings can be screwed into the M10 female at the master cylinder but will be difficult and never seal properly. My advice is to try M10 and UNF male fittings into the master cylinder before making the pipes to see which fit best.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jimbo123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks i'll remember that when i start dismantling it i'll take photo's cut pipes leave unions in place while cleaning etc but thanks again for the advice.Ill try and upload some photo's :?
jimbo123
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby jimbo123 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:37 pm

Here's a good look at the master cylinder deffinetly needs a overall
Attachments
DSCF0087.jpg
DSCF0087.jpg (61.81 KiB) Viewed 5637 times
jimbo123
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:37 pm

1972nail wrote:My advice is to try M10 and UNF male fittings into the master cylinder before making the pipes to see which fit best.

The best way. If you try both fittings, the loose one will be obviously very loose compared to the other. Metric fine, I think.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jimbo123 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks Mike will do that i think i can get a repair kit for both the master cylinder and a servo kit, Probably fit a new lockheed master cylinder if i can find one will clean it up and get the numbers off it for reference.Anyone interested people are trying to sell NOS Front Lower Ball Joints around £45 you can get new ones made by First Line which is top company FBJ5003 for £12.40 with free postage EBAY Item no 351888116828 Fist line are part of the Borg and Beck Group,hope this helps someone Jim.
jimbo123
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:31 am

there are always Chancers on ebay trying it on with greedy prices - we have bottom ball joints in Club Stock at reasonable price - good contact though you have identified there - perhaps you can put it in Suppliers links at the end of For sale and Wanted please.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Return to Mechanical